GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default boat engine in a car?

I've got a question that may be stupid but I was just wondering. I know a lot of people talk about swapping automotive v8's in boats but the car engines aren't made as strong and don't have enough power that a boat requires. So if a boat engine is made "better" than could you put a boat engine in a car?

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

I dont know anything about boats, just that they are supposed to stay above water...but I suppose if a car engine can go into a boat its possible for the other way around..
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Boat motors have reverse rotation so it won't work. If you buy a camshaft for a boat motor it is differant then a car/truck motor.

I don't think all marine engines are reverse rotation, because I swear I've seen engines listed in all 4 configurations : car/normal rotation, car/reverse rotation, marine/regular, marine/reverse. One thing you may want to consider is that marine engines are designed to be cooled by the water the boat is sitting in. I think the water pump is different because of this, but a car water pump should be cheap and have the same mounting bosses as a marine pump. You would also have to source a complete accessory drive for it, and the marine engine may not have the mounting bosses drilled and tapped.

That all said, a marine engine would be a nearly unstoppable force in a car. Marine engines are designed to run fast, with a huge load, for long periods of time. Sounds like a winning combination in my book. Marine engines also cost a lot more, if I remember correctly. Research it some, and I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

WHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTT ...who told u boat engines are reverse rotation ??? BS

Yes it will work , boat engines are build a little looser then car motors on the specs so they can actually work at 5200 + RPM over a piriod of time since boats do not use a tranny. other then that its the same..if its a HP boat engine, u will have better exhaust valves and stuff too.

They are all chevy blocks and only the ones build between 1970-1985 come with the option of reverse rotation because back then the drives where all RH and a twinn engine boat likes both rotations to stay straight.....still very rare !!!!!!

The only differents on the cam would be the lift..they are all the same ....unless u have a counter rotating engine.

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

DAREDEVIL, that make sense about the optional '70-'85. My father-in-law had a boat with twin Dodge 440's and when they were rebuilt I remmember the cams had two differant part#'s. His boat was a '83 houseboat.

I knew a former motorhead who found himself in need of a smallblock Chevy in a hurry, he grabbed the phone and called the boat engine guy down the shore and had a re-man delivered the next day...

He pulled his El-camino in the back of our shop that night and had the 'bad' engine waiting there for a core. He was back on the street after two late nights. He woulda been sleeping there in the bunk in his Peterbilt anyway...

My boss never knew I let him use our shop....
    Last edited by wis bang; 09-07-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Sr. Apprentice

The big issue would be cooling. The easiest way would be to pull the crank, rods, pistons, head, valves (which are all forged), essentially the internals and put them in a vehicle motor.

You normally only find reverse rotation engines if your running dual engines, but thats not guarantee, the rest of the time they'll be normal rotation engines.

Cooling systems can be different but most times Marine engines run a normal water pump, many saltwater used boats have a closed loop cooling system exactly like an automobile.

The largest difference is the marine designation, except for electronics (alternator, etc) Marine and normal automotive items are similiar but if you ever get stopped and get an in depth Coast Guard inspection they will look for certain engine components to be Marine designated.

Marine engines bolt up to many popular transmissions and theres hundreds of distributer and ignition applications available for them.

wow thanks for all the input! yeah I knew the cooling system would be an issue but that was the only real issue i could find. But those boat engines are mean! Mercury makes v8 engines that push 1075 horse stock! It would definitely be a cool project if it worked out. Swapping the internals is also a good idea. I never thought about that ha

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast