GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999 Tahoe - A Couple of Problems

Just bought my first one (LT, 4X4, 87K on the clock, 5.7L) and it's great to drive but I believe I have some common problems. Can anyone shed some light?

1) 4WD indicator lights -- Sometimes they light. Sometimes they don't. Right now I'm in 2Hi. When the indicator light is not on, occasionally I can press the 2H button and it stays on for awhile then it goes off. Other times I press it and nothing lights. I'm afraid to try it in 4H for fear it might get stuck in 4H.

Before I purchased the truck, I pressed all the buttons to make sure 4X4 was working and even though the indicator lights were out at the time, I could hear the shift and 4X4 worked.

Switch? Shift motor? or ???

2) Headlights stay on when I start the truck. I know some models have daytime lights but mine seem to be just as bright in the day as they are at night. When I turn off the ignition, the lights go off. I don't own a Canadian model so I'm kind of confused.

I took the truck to an auto electric shop and he subscribed to a database listing possible causes but all he could find was the problem. The only solution was to purchase a switch (not sure if it's an OEM part) that when installed, allows the driver to override the "Daytime" mode.

The only sensor I see that should adjust for daytime and night mode seems to be in the back of the rearview mirror. I plan on shining a flashlight on it tonight to see if the light s adjust back into what should be the "daylight" mode.

3) Coolant. I learned about the intake leak a bit too late. Just topped coolant off with the orange Havoline coolant. will this stuff eat away at the intake gasket like the OEM stuff?

Thanks in advance for any insight!!!

Scratch item #2. Figured it out.

what was the solution for your headlight thing?
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Problem 1 is a new switch, problem 2 is daytime running lamps they are just as bright and actually use your low beam setting. You can remove the fuse to disable them. (located on the Drives side of the dash should be fuse #20 i have mine disabled)
    You should be alright with that coolant but since you just bought the truck i would do a full coolant flush as part of buying a new vehicle either way. And how low was your coolant? because if you are loosing it then you will want to find the leak ASAP..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

As Murdog mentioned, problem #2 was my daytime running lights. I think it's a stupid feature unless you live in Canada where they are required. While engine is running and you are parked, they shut off when you engage the parking brake.

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Also, are there upper AND lower gaskets on my intake? Does a quote on replacing gaskets include both?

Legend
    Blog Entries

The upper intake gasket is for the air flow there is no coolant passing thru it.
    As for the lower intake gaskets those are the ones that can be shot. And if you have some hand tools and a little time i personally would change them myself. It will give you a good look at the top end internals of your engine and also save you some money.
    I would ask the shop what gaskets they replace when they do intake gaskets.. I play dumb when i bring my truck in to see what they are going to BS me about (i have several shops in the area that i wont go to because they shot me some bull____)
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"