GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame rust

Jr. Apprentice

Default Frame rust

So my frame is rusted pretty badly so i was going to sand it down and then paint it with some type of undercoating or rustolium, do you guys have any suggestions on types of paints/undercoating i sould use.

POR15 or Rust Bullet
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

are you doing the whole frame? i want to do mine too but i dont know how to get to everything. how are you doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    POR15 or Rust Bullet
    I 2nd that

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1500 View Post
    are you doing the whole frame? i want to do mine too but i dont know how to get to everything. how are you doing it?
    im going to do as much as possible, im just gonna crawl under my truck and sand all of it down and get the big stuff off and then get a piece of cardboard and hold it up to the under side of the body so i dont get overspray on it...and thanks guys for the info...what is POR15 by the way? where could i find it

Both are rust-treating paints. You probably won't be able to find either local, but they are easily available on the net. You typically buy both by the gallon. Both can be applied using either a spray gun or by rolling/brushing them on..
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Both are rust-treating paints. You probably won't be able to find either local, but they are easily available on the net. You typically buy both by the gallon. Both can be applied using either a spray gun or by rolling/brushing them on..
    would you know the prices on it? how many gallons would i need for most of the frame? any special prep work involved?

also I know rustoleum and duplicolor both make and undercoating spray paint that are both very high quality. may help you save time and money and still give you that quality look.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    also I know rustoleum and duplicolor both make and undercoating spray paint that are both very high quality. may help you save time and money and still give you that quality look.
    ive heard some bad stories about undercoating with the frame continuing to rust underneath of the paint after its all finished, but i dont know if thats true or not

Sr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by ThePOPE490 View Post
    would you know the prices on it? how many gallons would i need for most of the frame? any special prep work involved?
    Its about 50 bucks a quart but if you're only doing the frame rails you probably wouldn't even use one quart to do them both. I did the complete underside of a camaro and the entire gas tank with just a little over one quart. You do need to scrape it down to bare metal (or bare rust) first and then use their metal prep product along with rinsing it in between steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast