GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Michelin LTX A/t 2 Vs. Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Hey everybody, I have a 2005 Suburban Z71, and within a few months I'll be needing some new tires. And with the tires Ill be adding a 1" rear spacer and cranking either GM white keys or Ford F150 keys. Ill also be getting longer shocks (Bilstein 5100s).

Anyway, I cant decide which tires I want. The only ones Im considering are Michelin LTX A/T 2, Michelin LTX M/S 2, and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. The size I would get is 285/70/17. Has anyone here had any of the 3? I currently have Michelin M/S, and couldnt say a single bad thing about them. They handle every situation brilliantly.

The only downside to the M/S 2 is that they dont look very aggressive, but if they wind up being the best of the 3 I'll willingly choose them. Ive read the Michelins have mushy side walls though. Ive read mixed reviews about both. I want to hear some pros and cons.

Has anyone had experience with any of these tires?

Thanks alot!
    Last edited by tav8ws6; 09-29-2010 at 10:24 PM.

For all around tires I would go with M/S 2, you will get double the life of the Goodyears. I have had Goodyears on several vehicles and are lucky to get 36,000 miles on them. The michelins are far better stopping on ice.

Thanks for your input! The past sets of the M/S's have gotten me 50-60 thousand miles out of them.

For me I've had the goodyear silent armor and loved them. They were amazing in the snow but my opinion may be biased because I've had the goodyears and my family has always had goodyears. I can't ever say having a problem but thats my $.02!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

I used to swear by Michelin's, when I bought my '04 Suburban it came with a set Goodyear Silent Armours with the Kevlar in them, they were awesome tires, they had 11-12/32nds on them and when I changed them 2.5 years later and nearly 35k miles later, they still had 6-7/32nds on them, and they were unbeatable in the snow, and for a semi aggressive tread they were super smooth and quiet for everyday driving. I've got a brand new set of Goodyear Territories, and even new there was no comparison with the Silent Armours. Hope this helps a bit!

2004 Chevrolet Suburban
    5.3L
    1/2 Ton
    Spectre Cold Air Intake
    Flowmaster Series 40 exhaust with custom 5" stainless rig exhaust pipe out rear side
    Freshly rebuilt 4L60E with new Borg Warner HD 1-2 clutches and Z-pac 3-4 clutches
    3.73 Posi rear end with limited slip diff ( G80 :great: )
    Kool Vue OEM style towing mirrors

Check out my BILSTEIN 5100'S in my album,they made a major difference in the way my truck handles,you will love them.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

The M/S 2's and the SA's are both really great tires. I think what it would boil down to is total cost of tires, install, and road hazard, plus how well of a road hazard plan you would be getting. A plus note on the Goodyears is that no matter where you go with them, a Goodyear dealer will(or at least they are supposed to) rotate them for free. IDK is Michelin dealers do the same thing.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Ive narrowed it to either of the michelins. My dad and I are doing both of our trucks now. Both with the same small lifts and bigger tires. (hes got an '03 Avalanche Z71) I started leaning towards the M/S 2 for the snow and rain traction, but hes thinking the A/T 2 just because they look tougher. well see what we get. Other forums ignored my post...Thanks everyone for your comments!

@Bigbomber...Very nice! im excited for mine. Ive heard nothing but good things about them.

@bluestreak94..thanks! we pretty much swear by out michelins for our trucks. theyve never let us down. thats the main reason for sticking with them, but i wish i could get to see for myself how the silent armors were.