GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Shocks or Torsion Bar Adjustment

I have a 99 Z71 Extended Cab and my front bumper stops are sitting on the lower control arms and was wanting to know if new shocks would correct this problem or can I raise the torsion bars? If I do raise the torsion bars, do I need to get an alignment afterwards? Thanks.

Welcome to the club. It sounds like the torson bars are already adjusted to the max, thats why there hitting the lower control arms. If you have stock length shocks than there bottoming out. You should crank the bars down some. Look at the torson bar adjuster bolts and most likely there are screwed all the way in. Do you have over size tires?

I have 265/75/16's on there. Not sure what the stock size is because the sticker is missing from the door jam. As far the torsion bolts, they had still had some threads showing, so they are not screwed all the way into the cross member. Would worn out shocks make it sag that low to have the bumper stops touch?

No, worn shocks won't make the truck sag that much. You say the t/bar adjustment bolts have a few threads showing. Whats a few threads?

Sorry it took so long to reply. There is about 3/4" from the crossmember to the bolthead. I lokked at my neighbors '05 Z71 and his bump stops were on the lower control arm. He said he still had the original shocks and has not touched the suspension since he bought it.

Sr. Apprentice

Im asking this same question with my 2003 2500HD, my front lower control arms are on the bump stops too... but I think I still have a fair bit of thread on my torsion bolts so I am going to try to wind them up a bit this afternoon and see if that lifts them off the bump stops a bit...
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8