GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 96 Burban rear axle differential.

Hi there!
    I've found that one of the previous Burb owners got rid of the rear diff locker. Now I want to restore it. I checked Ebay for it, but there are the whole axle lots only.
    Do You have any ideas, where I should seek?
    As far as I understand it looks like that:
    Regards, Ivan.
    350 V8, manual transmission, 3" susp, 3" body, 35x10 BFG MT, front fog lights, rear fog lights, 4 extra engine radiator blowers, upgraded heaters, upgraded AC, upgraded audio, pneumatic horns and pretty little bedroom in the trunk. :)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Depending if you are planning on just putting the factory G80 back in or if you are planning to step up to somthing like an ARB air locker (which is awsome because you flip a switch and you have a posi in the rear).. But ARB makes great lockers and so does Detroit. As for a G80 im not to sure where you would be able to get one other than an actual GM dealer etc... And i know your in Russia so that may pose a problem for a Suburban part. but the other options can be ordered off of the net.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Another option, where you have the open carrier, might be to look into the "lunchbox" lockers like the Powertrax lockright or the Detroit EZ locker.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Depending if you are planning on just putting the factory G80 back in or if you are planning to step up to somthing like an ARB air locker (which is awsome because you flip a switch and you have a posi in the rear).. But ARB makes great lockers and so does Detroit. As for a G80 im not to sure where you would be able to get one other than an actual GM dealer etc... And i know your in Russia so that may pose a problem for a Suburban part. but the other options can be ordered off of the net.
    I have some ideas about ARB or Detroit locker... But 99% of time I use the car onroad, so I don't see the need to improve my offroad abilities much too much. But self-blocking factory diff - might be usefull.
    You're right, here we have some of that items, but it costs over $1500. I think, that ordering from US will cost at least twice cheaper!
    So, maybe You have a link to some of e-stores with GM parts?
    I usually order from LMC Trucks and Ebay, but this time they are unable to help me.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    Another option, where you have the open carrier, might be to look into the "lunchbox" lockers like the Powertrax lockright or the Detroit EZ locker.
    Thanks for a Powertrax! Reading about it now.

I would be inclined to ask how you know that the previous owners pulled the locker? It seems awfully fishy to spend a heap of money to go from a limited slip diff to an open diff, UNLESS the locker was somehow damaged, and even then it would probably be cheaper to repair than replace the locker with an open carrier and reset the gears.

As for replacement selections, all the above mentioned are just fine. ARBs actually go from open to spool, not limited slip and require lots of extra money in additional parts, so for quick and easy, I'd say go with a detroit locker.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage