GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Four Wheel Drive Not Working Whats Wrong???

Hello all, 1992 – 2500 four wheel drive not working. Occasionally the right (passenger) side will kick in but the left side is not working at all. What should I be looking at? Is there something with the axels inside the transfer case or is there something on the tire side that I need to look at. I’m not exactly sure how the system works??? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance…

I would guess it's either an automatic hub not engaging, or a thermal actuator that isn't locking the axle. The hubs would be right at the wheels, and tend to break. The thermal actuator would be dead center on the center diff, but beyond that I don't know too much about it. If it's the hub, switch over to a pair of Warn manual hub lockouts and move on with life.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I would guess it's either an automatic hub not engaging, or a thermal actuator that isn't locking the axle. The hubs would be right at the wheels, and tend to break. The thermal actuator would be dead center on the center diff, but beyond that I don't know too much about it. If it's the hub, switch over to a pair of Warn manual hub lockouts and move on with life.
    On the 92s there isnt a hub to lock in anymore. There is just the thremal actuator on the front Diff.. and i would start there just as Crawdaddy said... Since that is a super common problem with the 4wds in the 1992-1999 Suburban.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Thanks for the info. I’m going to put it up on jack stands today and see if the axles are actually turning or not.

Thanks for the help. Turned out to be the actuator. $87 I love an easy fix. LOL!!!

Murdog is the man. Not to take away from the other guys on here who know their stuff, Crawdaddy included.