GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Popping sound coming from front driver side

Ok have a 08 Silverado Crew 5.3L 4x4. Have had this sound for a while, took it in to dealership they replaced engine mounts and something else but the sound is back. Clearly whatever they did didnt resolve the problem.

WHen I am backing out of driverway in mornings the left front pops when turn the wheel. Does it no matter which direction i am going. Also pops when driving forwards and am turning almost full lock. What could this be? I would like to get this pinpointed before i go to dealer to get this fixed. Last time they kept truck for 3 days (gave me a loaner) yet still has a problem.
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks

Sr. Apprentice

It's possibly the outer CV axle joint.
    Been there, done it, got the T-shirt. Got the T-shirt dirty doin it again. Learned not to wear my good T-shirts.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Mabey a worn balljoint???
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Well took the truck to Discount tire today to get balanced and rotated and fix a screw in the tire. Tires are the original Goodyear Eagle LSII's on the 20's. Have approximately 21K miles on them (truck is just about a year and a couple months old, left over new 08 on lot when I bought it). The front tires are wearing on the inside edge quite a bit, enough to where I will need new tires in 6K miles or so. Any chance this is related to the popping sound I am hearing? I had an alignment probably around 6000K miles ago so the alignment should still be good. The rear tires are wearing normally.

If you have a bad balljoint this could be the popping sound and the tire wear. Could have been a bad balljoint when manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    If you have a bad balljoint this could be the popping sound and the tire wear. Could have been a bad balljoint when manufactured.
    ANy way of knowing without going to the dealership first?

I have a 2007 Silverado LT 2500HD with 139,000 miles (highway). Same kind of popping noise under similar circumstances. Took a ride with dealer tech., He looked at the GM tech files and found references the front body mount insulators. I have not changed them yet, so I cannot confirm yet, but I think he may be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ganzgut View Post
    I have a 2007 Silverado LT 2500HD with 139,000 miles (highway). Same kind of popping noise under similar circumstances. Took a ride with dealer tech., He looked at the GM tech files and found references the front body mount insulators. I have not changed them yet, so I cannot confirm yet, but I think he may be correct.
    I think that might be what they changed out last time. I am starting to think it probably is the ball joint, I need the 4 wheel drive this weekend, but I will probably take it to dealership next week sometime and get them to ride in the truck with me.