GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Stories

Default Garage Stories

Anybody got any crazy stories of bein in the shop or garage workin on something?

Like my friend and I a few years back were in his garage workin on this Ford Probe, we had a bottle of liquor or something we were drinkin. But we had to pull this motor out of this car and at the time I was not very mechanically inclined, so I am doin wutever he says. After a while we were good and boozed up and had the picker ready to hoist the motor out, but it wouldnt come. We reefed on it any way we could, even broke the windshield from sitting on it and pulling on the motor. After about an hour of that my buddy looks down and says "oh yeah forgot to pull that axle out on the passenger side". And this is a guy that grew up in a garage, graduated from Wyotech, and works on custom hot rods for a living. I was thinkin about that today as I was reachin for my bear in the garage.
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

A friend and I were at my shop pulling the engine on my daughters Corrolla because it had thrown a rod.
    We pulled it into the shop and pulled the engine and trans, after that the plan was to install a reman'd engine that would be delivered in a few days so we spent the rest of the afternoon detailing the engine compartment, repairing corrosion damage on the inner fenders, and cleaning some surprise damage left from an old accident.
    When were finishing up for the afternoon the engine stand tipped over and cracked the intake and exhaust manifolds and broke off some studs.
    We figured no problem we'd get new manifolds and studs the next day to bolt on the remanned engine and all would be good.
    As we were getting ready to leave for the afternoon a police officer asked if we didnt mind stepping in the back yard of my shop as a girl that was visiting one of the other shops in the industrial center thought we had towed her car behind the fence into my storage lot. I told them the only cars back there were mine.
    Yep you can guess it my daughters car was parked in the back lot and when we pushed the car in the shop to remove the engine we didnt even notice that we pushed it from the front of the shop, the ignition keys on both cars were cut the same and fit them both.
    I gave the girl a ride home and the next day we reinstalled the drivetrain, we ended up giving her a low mileage takeout because the original engine block had been damaged when we tipped the engine stand over, not to mention all the other underhood repairs we did like cleaning corrosion and accident repair, we'd even replaced a couple sections of wire harness under the hood that were damaged.

About a year ago I was working on a Toyota truck on a lift. Behind me a guy pulled an F-250 in the bay to my back on a floor lift. After they had gotten the wheels off the turned their backs to the truck. I turned around from my truck and see that giant truck kissing pavement. The truck slowly tilted forward and its bumper was touching the ground with the tali lights quite a few feet in the air. I yelled at the old man in the shop who had been working on the truck and all he could say was "S###."
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

lol 2x...thats some good stuff....

one night at work me and my buddy were trying to find his cell phone which the boss had hid from him, we were out side and the other tech was doing a last minute oil change on a 08 2500HD on our drive on rack, he turned the lift on and opened the drivers door to wright the vin down when all of a sudden i hear this crunching noise i look back inside and see the drivers door smashed down to the bottom of the window. that hoist has a hydralic ram on top of the drivers side that pulls the chains cable up and it made a perfect 4in wide crush spot on the truck and it only had 3500 miles on it.

another one involving the same hoist, first oil change of the day tech was lifting a silverado up, 3/4 way to the top the ram pulls out of the block the cable is attached to and the truck falls 2-3 ft catches the safety latch and bounces in the air. the force was so great that it moves the part the wheels sit on. the pass rear tire was hanging on by about 2 inches of rubber we had to get a flat bed tow truck to back up to the bay so we could drive it off the rack

before we got rotory lifts we had inground and we used to set it and put a block of wood between the lever and the wall so it would go up on its own, it was really slow, we would then adjust tire pressure and such, well some one forgot to set one side and ended up tipping a new impala and sending the other side of the lift into the door and front fender.

needless to say we have had some not so smart people work for us

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

ah yes...its only been a few years since the last time i went down that road...good times...

at the shop i work at our washboy put 3 jump packs on a pt cruiser and still bitched that the battery was dead even tho the lights were bright and all the electronics worked just fine.......come to find out it a 5 speed and he didnt know it. it was over a year ago now and we still havent let him live it down
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Quote Originally Posted by clgoch187 View Post
    at the shop i work at our washboy put 3 jump packs on a pt cruiser and still bitched that the battery was dead even tho the lights were bright and all the electronics worked just fine.......come to find out it a 5 speed and he didnt know it. it was over a year ago now and we still havent let him live it down
    Haha that's the best.

A kid back when I went to the technical school was working on this 1990 GMC S15 we had there with a 454 in it, it had a high rise intake with a throttle body. We were monkying with it trying to get it started, so this kid was spraying throttle body cleaner in it, somehow the straw made it's maiden voyage into the TB and down the intake, the hood of that truck was never opened again, and I believe we worked on that truck within the first 3 weeks of that school year.

Another kid was setting the Acetylene torch up, and the rule was !always! Oxygen 25, Acetylene 5 PSI, and to NEVER go over 15 psi with the Acetylene. Well long story short, that kid remembered the rule, but not on the right tanks... Until the instructor ran over and turned them both off. Rumor had it the Acetylene tank was at 22 PSI when it got turned off. Ever since then I didn't bring my truck in that tech school garage..

Luckly this didn't happen to me, but I was at my friends new muffler shop (he was only open 4 days) back in 1998 and his employee was pulling a NEW 1998 Dodge Ram onto the ramp over the work pit. You guessed it the employee hit the gas instead of the brake, the truck went over the tire stops and flewoff the ramp hitting the rear building wall. So the rear of the truck was being held up by the rear of the truck (behind the rear wheel well) the rear tires are off the ramp and the front of the truck is were the rear wall and the floor meet. Luckly no one was hurt, the employee just left and never came back, they had to take apart some of the ramp so a tow truck (crane) could lift the Dodge out. Not a good way to start off a new company.

yeah tech scools are fun.....i was in the body and paint class and a freind of mine was right next door in auto mech. well anyways the dodge had just donated a a viper that they couldnt title and sll because it was damages in transit to the dealer, and the auto mech shop got first go at it. ok so now the car has sat all summer and has some pretty stail gas in it. guess what the first thing a sr tries is......no ideas? CARB CLEANER! on a fuel injected V10 viper and it goes BOOOOOOM!!!!
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast