GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Engineer

I love it all. As long as we have the chance to get out in the field and experience the sunrise in the pristine silence of the woods I don't think choice of weapons should matter. I prefer the bow as the heart thumping rush that I get when even the smallest deer comes in would be banned if found by the thought police. I will continue to use and enjoy every weapon that I'm allowed to use. If they establish a crossbow season as hinted about I may even consider that.
    Don't let weapon choice divide us as that's exactly what the antis would want!!
    Plainfield, Illinois
    2010 1500 Series Extended Cab LT Z71 4X4
    2011 Cruze LTZ
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT
    Hunt-Fish-Shoot

thats why I am going to continue to hunt with my rifle, I'm planning on buying a new rifle this season, .270, '06, or a new .308...I love those long range shots its what keeps me going back during rifle season, as for the bow, I want a new one as well...but the friends think its awesome when I can drop a dear with a perfect hit and no sights...Its an old Bear Whitetail hunter from the late 70s or 80s, but it still gets it done very well
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Legend
    Blog Entries

I finally bought myself a gun today after a lot of waiting and looking. I picked up a Mouzer 30-06 with a scope, bolt action. Wood grain. All said and done paid $260 for it. Its not new but its MINE! HAHA i got out of guns in the army and I am finally getting back into them again (meaning purchase)
    Ive already put a box of ammo thru it today, just sighting it in and doing some familirization (cant spell i know) Its actually a really sweet and smooth action.
    And yes i agree completely with you Rip, its just nice to hear what others are using in the woods and the differences between regions.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Jr. Engineer

That sounds like a great buy on the Mauser. My father-in-law gave my son a sporterized '42 dated mauser that shoots like a dream. I'm jealous. Guess I need to find one of my own.

Man, i keep hearing about these .30-06's, does anyone else use a .25-06 here? the trejectory of them is just like the .300 win mag, but just not as much weight or "knock down power" so to say. This season is going to be my first season with my bow - Bear Lights Out, can't wait, it starts up next weekend!!!! Indiana be prepared!

Oh, I hunt in Southern Indiana, and somewhat Northwestern Kentucky which explains the rifle calibers.
    "Drive it like ya stole it" R.I.P. Charlie Lewis
    1998 Extended Cab Silverado 4wd
    1972 El Camino SS

i use a rem 700 in 30.06 for deer, gonna try and get a bear tag some time in the future, and a rem 870 for birds, id like to get in to bow hunting i did a lil bit with my old room mate back in the army he had an alpine, i dont remember the exact model, but ive also shot mathews and bowtech,

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yeah the Mauser was a great find.. And it shoots great. 30-06 is what we run since the deer are large, and also there are a lot of guys that are running 270 caliber. Those are a fast bullet that tears things up. But other than the 7mm, 30-30, 30-06, 270, and of course the stand by 12ga slug (talk about a HOLE!) Its actually illegal in Mn to hunt deer with anything smaller than .243 or .226 i cant remeber
    And sgtsjj- dont forget to use your veterans preference when going into the Bear Lottery, im not 100% on all the details but it will help you get a permit, since here in MN it can be a pain in the_______. Also do the same when you go for your once in a lifetime moose permit.

Well I hunt mostly squirrels, occasionally rabbits. I have a Browning 25-06 stainless stalker and a HMR but I haven't shot them in years. I mostly use my air guns which consist of many Theobens, a few Beeman Goldfingers, and 1 Airarms.

My favorite is my Theoben MKII in .20 cal recently re-stock with a custom made tactical stock. I can get marble size groups at 50 yards and it as quiet as a mouse fart. Shooting squirrels with an airgun is kind of like deer hunting with a bow, up close and personal and fun for sure

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Yeah the Mauser was a great find.. And it shoots great. 30-06 is what we run since the deer are large, and also there are a lot of guys that are running 270 caliber. Those are a fast bullet that tears things up. But other than the 7mm, 30-30, 30-06, 270, and of course the stand by 12ga slug (talk about a HOLE!) Its actually illegal in Mn to hunt deer with anything smaller than .243 or .226 i cant remeber
    And sgtsjj- dont forget to use your veterans preference when going into the Bear Lottery, im not 100% on all the details but it will help you get a permit, since here in MN it can be a pain in the_______. Also do the same when you go for your once in a lifetime moose permit.
    It didn't even cross my mind about the very preference thanks I will be sure to do that

deer,rabbit,squirle, whatever moves lol i really want to mountion lion hunt!! i have a ruger 7mm and ruger 10 22

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12