GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Service 4 Wheel Drive message

There have been multiple posts in multiple threads on this message, but I have yet to find an answer as to what is actually going on in the transfer case to cause this message.
    I am getting it on my 2005 Sierra (64000 miles,5.3L, 6" lift, 4.56 ratio, 35 inch tires.) It sporratically(sp?) came on about a year ago, about once every 2 weeks. Now it comes on everytime I fire up the truck, and now accompanied by a blank transfer case selector panel. In other words, there is sometimes no light illuminated telling me what position the transfer case is in. Selecting anything is not possible. The truck feels like it is in 2 wheel drive when I drive in it in this condition. The only way to fix the selector panel issue is to completely shut down, wait a few seconds and restart the truck which usually illuminates the 2 wheel drive light and that part of the problem is back to normal. The "service 4 wheel drive" message never goes away, however. If the selector panel is working, I am able to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive still. I hooked up the Superchips programer and it came back with nothing, as in "no trouble codes found". (Piece of Sh!t waste of 300$). Anyone out there have any input on this? I don't want to take it to a dealer and get raped financially. My first guess at this is the selenoid is bad. Help.
    2005 Sierra 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    Pro Comp 6" Lift
    4.56 Gears
    35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Eagle Alloys
    K&N Intake
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    SuperChips Programmer (worthless)

Had this happen on a chevy colorado, changed the dash push button switch and transfer case actuator, did not help. Ended up being a broken wire down by the actuator weather pak connector, It was a brown wire that was broke about 6" back in the loom, but I don not know if your full size has the same wiring loom or not. Good luck, hope this helps.
    1999 Silverado Regular Cab Short Box
    Black on Black, Line-X sprayed in bed liner
    5.3 with K&N CAI, Texas Speed 220/220 cam with 112 deg LSA
    Texas Speed computer Tune
    American Racing Headers with Cats
    4.11 gears front and back, with Eaton rear posi
    Flowmaster 40series true duals
    16X8 American Racing Nitros with 305/70/16 Goodyear MTR's
    285's in the pic

If it ain't broke...........Give me a minute!

Im not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example...

This happened once to me, and went away 24 hours later and have never seen it return. I have no idea what it was.

happened to me in my silverado, mechanic friend told me to clean the sensor and sure enough was caked up with crap, and havent had the problem since.

We had this happen on our NNBS 2500 and it got as bad as one time we put it in 4 wheel drive then I went to change it back to two wheel and it would say it was in two wheel but it was still in 4 wheel. Took it to the dealer and ended up just being a sensor. Hope this helps!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Does your 4 wheel drive still work? This happpend to me when someone drove my truck in 4 low and went over 50mph after restarting the truck the "service 4 wheel drive went away and has not done it since.
    Last edited by 763chev; 09-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.