GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Brake Fluid and Power Steering Fluid

Don't forget these when doing your 60K service.

I've seen a lot of threads on here that are about what oil to use, and doing engine, front/rear diffs, trans, etc. Don't forget your transfer case with the Autotrac II also.

Now much neglected and forgotten is the the other 2 I started this thread on. Power Steering fluid. Just take a turkey baster or big syringe and suck out all the PS fluid you can. It'll be a nasty black looking. Replace with a good synthetic PS fluid. If you're anal drive the truck for a week until it gets mixed with old and repeat. Good for another 60K.

Now the brake fluid. It's amazing how this is the most neglected fluid in cars/trucks. All the other fluids are to make you go. This one is to make you stop. It really should be on the top of your list. I flushed mine recently and got the tell tale green and moisture laden crap out of the brake lines. Took a quart of good synthetic. Makes it easier if you have a power bleeder to push the stuff out. I've done it on every used car we have bought in the last 5+ years with the same results. Clean fluid, with no moisture, makes better pedal feel. Very cheap insurance.
    2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. Tow Mule.
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06, 5.7L, Slightly Modded. Tow Payload.
    2005 Craftsman Riding Mower, 17hp, light mods.

X2 what vms4evr said. Most trucks/cars manuels suggest a brake flush every 40,000 miles. On my trucks I disonnect one of the power steering cooler lines and flush the system. I also use synthetic fluids.