GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Brakes on a 2000 Tahoe Z71

My 2000 tahoe has an issue. There is something going on with my brakes. When I apply the brakes, it takes an extraordinary amount of pressure to apply the brakes and there is a noise like air leaking from somewhere. My second problem is that the truck has trouble going from stop. When I put my foot on the accelerator, it doesn't start moving immediately, instead, it almost stalls out until I apply more pressure, and then it jumps forward. Both of these problems started about three weeks after I had my brakes completely redone, with a new master cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post
    My 2000 tahoe has an issue. There is something going on with my brakes. When I apply the brakes, it takes an extraordinary amount of pressure to apply the brakes and there is a noise like air leaking from somewhere. My second problem is that the truck has trouble going from stop. When I put my foot on the accelerator, it doesn't start moving immediately, instead, it almost stalls out until I apply more pressure, and then it jumps forward. Both of these problems started about three weeks after I had my brakes completely redone, with a new master cylinder.
    Check your rear brakes, if you still have drums in the back you probably have a leak.
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

If you had a shop do the master cylinder, I would take it back to them and have them look at it. It sounds like there is a problem with the booster (air leaking, hard pedal) and the master cylinder (brakes staying locked).
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Thanks. I'll take it to the shop as soon as i get some time to drive down there. Now, what about the pseudo stalling issue?

I had the same issue with the stalling. There is a TSB out for just stating to clean it. I cleaned mine with a can of carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Then ran seafoam through it and its been great. If i can just get this abs problem im having it will all be great.
    2000 Tahoe