GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 2007 Crew cab 2wd, Lift and shock question?

Hey guys.. thought it would be a good idea to join a forum so I can find answers to my many questions! I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 crew cab 2wd new body style and I would like to lift it 4.5 inches. The question is how high can I go before I would need new shocks? Many lift kits come with the choice to have shocks included or not at all. Any input would be helpful, thank you!
    Last edited by murdog94; 09-27-2010 at 03:12 PM.

First, welcome to the GMTC. Now, I would say anything over a 2.5" leveling kit and you are going to want the extended shocks. And I'm sure some will tell you even with just the leveling kit it's a good idea to swap out the stock shocks.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

Thank you very much! I was leaning more towards getting the shocks just to be safe anyways..

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome!!! I have some experience with this, as I did a ton of research prior to me recently installing my kit, and found that you will probably either need to replace your shocks or find a kit that uses shock extension mounts. However, most recommend replacing the shocks. That said, this is about the only experience I have with suspension items, so I would not put too much weight on my statement.....definitely see what others have to say.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

You really need longer shocks or shock extensions with just a leveling kit so with a 4" lift you definetly need longer shocks. The reason most lift companies make the shocks a option is that some people what to run a differant type shock or a dual shock set up. Which lift kits have you looked at?

Legend
    Blog Entries

********thread moved here***********
    If you have any questions about the move you can feel free to PM me.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Welcome to the club!

I'm running truck on stock suspension, so I can't really give you any good advice on the lift, but there are a lot of people here who can.

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4, Crew Cab
    6.6L Duramax Diesel (LB7) with an automatic Allison 1000 5 speed.
    Spray-in bed liner, S&B Air Filter, Homemade CAI ram scoop, ball hitch for Gooseneck
    Black toolbox, metallic-black bowtie, 5.5" NV-200C Bumper Off-Road lights behind a blacked-out grille
    285/75R16E BFG A/Ts
    Future Upgrades: Exhaust, CAI, programmer, intercooler, torque converter