GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Active Fuel Management and 4x4

Quick couple questions I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3L it has the active fuel management in it but I dont have the buttons to view it. How do I know when it activates and is there anything I can do to be able to view things like my tire pressure in my odometer line, I have the monitor but no way to view it. Also I have the electronic transfer case but the dash 4x4 light doesn't come on but the dial light does, does that dash light only come on with manual transfer cases. Also does anyone have any experience with a CAI or tonneau cover saving mileage?

If you don't have the Driver Information Center controls, the only real way to be able to tell when your active fuel management is kicking on is to listen for it. Other than that, you should be able to access this and other features by purchasing and installing the DIC controls.

Here's a link with a wealth of information about this. It's easy and affordable:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...rmation-Center

Welcome to the site. The CAI will help a little on your mileage. I had a tonneau on my S-10 and saw no difference in mileage when i took it off. If i recall correctly neither my '02 or '10 have a dash light that indicates the 4x4 is active only the the light on the button. My S-10 was the same as well.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

Welcome to the club. I loose about 1mpg on the highway with my soft tonno rolled up.I have a full size Silverado Z-71 with 5.3. I think you see a differance with the larger trucks because of the bed size. As KWG08VMI said and other people I talked to with small trucks (s-10 and Colorado) they didn't see a differance.

So guys, are we seeing increases in gas millage AND hp with CAI's?

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!!! For the info you looking for re: tire pressure, AFM, etc. x2 on the DIC recommendation. I just installed and think it is well worth the $80 or so.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I think you see about 5hp increase with CAI. You do feel better throttle response also with the CAI. As far as mileage increase some people say yes others say no. I saw no mpg increase with my truck and I have tried the Airaid, K&N,Volant,AFE,AEM and the Banks. I kept the Banks because of its quality and fit and it was the last one I tried so I just left it on. They all seemed to be about the same performance wise.

Interesting to know. Even at 5 hp... as long as it's not decreasing fuel economy then why not!? Thanks for the info, trailblazer.

I have the Volant and love it. No difference in MPGs, but some HP increase and better throttle response. It also provides a nice sound when you get on it.

The AFM will kick-in whenever your speed levels off. I have gotten used to it, and used to watch it, but it does kick-in more than you'd expect.
    Last edited by Als09Sierra; 09-29-2010 at 09:27 PM.