GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Torsion Bars problem...

Well this sucks. I was trying to lower my torsions on my 98 so I could actually drive it until I get a lift kit, and the bolt on my torsion bars snapped off :( I have no idea what i can do to fix the problem, so if anyone has anything that might be of use, please let me know. If you need pics, I can put them up.
    Thanks, Ryan

You will have to drill it and use a easy-out to get the old bolt out. I don't know if you did this but when I adjust the t/bars on a truck with miles on it I spray the bolts a couple days before with a rust desolver and then raise the front of the truck off the ground so all the weight is off the front end. Also if I take the old bolts out or install new bolts I put anti-seize on the bolts. This helps so you don't gaul the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    You will have to drill it and use a easy-out to get the old bolt out. I don't know if you did this but when I adjust the t/bars on a truck with miles on it I spray the bolts a couple days before with a rust desolver and then raise the front of the truck off the ground so all the weight is off the front end. Also if I take the old bolts out or install new bolts I put anti-seize on the bolts. This helps so you don't gaul the bolts.
    I did not do this, but I don't even know if these bolts come out. They are the ones that are right in the middle of the frame, basically right behind the cab. I can take pictures if needed. Thanks for your reply!!
    RYan

These are the bolts you are talking about, and they do come out. As previously stated you have to raise the front of the truck to take the weight off the torsion bars before making any adjustments. If your adjuster bolt is broken you are probably going to have to unload the torsion key to enable drilling and "easy out" removal, the torsion key puts a huge amount of pressure on the bolt which is why it snapped off.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    These are the bolts you are talking about, and they do come out. As previously stated you have to raise the front of the truck to take the weight off the torsion bars before making any adjustments. If your adjuster bolt is broken you are probably going to have to unload the torsion key to enable drilling and "easy out" removal, the torsion key puts a huge amount of pressure on the bolt which is why it snapped off.

PERFECT!!! Thank you so much for clarifying that!! I just need to find new adjuster bolts!! Again thank you so much!!