GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Exclamation Subwoofer making weird noises?

I got a 15" Merlon sub from a friend in a ported box and I didn't have any place to put it, so it's on top of my back right seat. Whenever I turn my car on, my sub makes a "pop" sound and then the sound of the exhaust is mimicked by the subwoofer. Whenever I roll a window down, my sub makes a clicking noise right when I press and lift off of the button. Also, when I have my head unit on the CD option, my subwoofer is constantly moving like a off beat heartbeat I guess, even with music on. It doesn't do that on the auxiliary option on my head unit, though. I've checked everything. I tried different RCA cables, checked my ground, and my amp-turn-on wire. I'm really baffled by all of this. It's starting to get pretty annoying, too. My 12" sub that I had before was in-between my front two seats and never did any of this. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

What kind of amp? Are you useing the same one that you had before? Where is the ground for the amp? Are you useing a aftermarket radio?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Yeah, I'm using the same amp as before. My ground is on the bolt that holds down the jack extension things and yes, I'm using a Kenwood head unit.

Legend

How close is the ground? Is it the same Ga wire as the power? Check your ground for good contact. Check the RCA's too..Never heard of that sub. Is it a 4 ohm? what sub did you have before?

The ground is about a foot and a half away from the amp and it's 4 gauge wire. I'll go outside and double check everything again. The company isn't really heard of, it's mainly just in the Houston, TX area from what I've heard from living here. It's a DVC 4-ohm sub that I have wired so it's bridged on my 2-channel amp. Could that be the problem?

Legend

The amp should be fine with 2-4 ohm's...Try to reground the amp..Rehook up your old sub IF you still have it and see if it does the same thing..

Yeah, my amp is pushing around 450w RMS to the sub, so that should be fine. I just grounded my amp again and there's no way that I have a bad ground. I hooked up my old subwoofer even though I blew it and it still makes the clicking and popping noises. When I don't have the RCA cables plugged in, the sub doesn't make the exhaust, clicking, and popping noises.

somewhere something isnt grounded right...
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

Legend

Where is the RCA's ran? Are they good Shielded RCA's? Did you say you are runing the remote turn in with the rca?

The RCA's and remote turn on are ran on the right side of the truck and the power is on the left. They're just the regular RCA cables that came with my 4 gauge wiring kit.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by