GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Truck running without keys in the ignition..

Here's what I'm looking to do:

I have a 2004 Silverado 1500, and it's my first Chevrolet.
    On all my other Ford trucks, I was able to wire in a switch in my truck where I could leave the truck running, but remove they keys, lock the door, and not worry about it.
    Since the keys are out of the ignition, the truck couldn't be moved to park (The shift lockout was controlled by the key). Also, with the keys out of the ignition, the steering wheel would lock. So, there really wasn't an easy to drive away with the truck while it was sitting there running.

However, I don't know if I can do this on my Chevrolet, can I? From me just messing around with it, it doesn't look like the shift lever is controlled by the ignition (since you don't even have to push the brake to move it when it is in "Aux mode" (the key only turned one spot in the ignition). Or, is it?

Basically what I'm asking is, (from looking at this guide here), If I hooked this switch up from a 12+ power source to the Pink and the White wires in the ignition system, and I removed my keys from the ignition, would the truck stay running with everything working (the A/C, Radio, Windows, etc.), AND the shift lever not remove from park?

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

It's kind of like what this kit does here: http://www.secure-idle.com/Our%20Product.html
    2012 Silverado 1500
    2004 Silverado 1500 (SOLD): http://tinyurl.com/JRD761sTruck
    1977 Silverado C20:
    http://tinyurl.com/JRD761-1977-C20

Legend
    Blog Entries

JRD, That's a pretty convoluted que & I'm almost afraid to answer it but here goes.
    First off, my truck doesn't use the same wireing diagram as yours so you have to decide which wire(s). On mine I would have to controll the relay that I installed, and my color code is different, so you are on your own on that part, but yes you can keep it running without the key and the ignition off if you wire it correctly to a separate switch.

BTW you might want to check your local and state laws regarding leaving an unattended vehicle running. Cali has stricter vehicle code than Ore so I'd bet it's illegal for you to do it.

What you write here you must explain better---->From me just messing around with it, it doesn't look like the shift lever is controlled by the ignition (since you don't even have to push the brake to move it when it is in "Aux mode" (the key only turned one spot in the ignition). Or, is it?
    Are you talking about the accessory position on the ignition switch? Is that what you mean when you say "Aux mode" ?
    If yes, why would you leave the ignition in Acces. position? Why not turn the steering wheel to a hard left or right lock position, turn the ignition to the off position, and that will lock both. As long as you have flipped your extra switch on that you wired in before you turn off the ignition switch it will keep running.

EDITED: Well you just edited your post while I was answering you & when I clicked submit your edit was there so this will take some time. Answer my questions while I go look at your links.
    Last edited by stephan; 10-03-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    BTW you might want to check your local and state laws regarding leaving an unattended vehicle running. Cali has stricter vehicle code than Ore so I'd bet it's illegal for you to do it.
    I understand and am aware of that. However, this is going to be in use on my own private property, not on the streets in parking lots and stuff like that.

What you write here you must explain better---->From me just messing around with it, it doesn't look like the shift lever is controlled by the ignition (since you don't even have to push the brake to move it when it is in "Aux mode" (the key only turned one spot in the ignition). Or, is it?
    Are you talking about the accessory position on the ignition switch? Is that what you mean when you say "Aux mode" ?
    If yes, why would you leave the ignition in Acces. position? Why not turn the steering wheel to a hard left or right lock position, turn the ignition to the off position, and that will lock both. As long as you have flipped your extra switch on that you wired in before you turn off the ignition switch it will keep running..
    Yes, I meant Accessory mode, not Aux Mode. My bad.

What I was trying to describe by saying that is there is something that controls the shift lockout electronically, not manually (from the ignition cylinder itself like the Fords have had). I didn't know if I took the key out of the vehicle if the electronics that controlled the shift lockout would know that they key is out and lock the shift lever, or if it would not know, and the computer would think the vehicle is still in run mode and allow it to shift out of park.. hope that is more understandable..

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yep JRD, I understand what you're sayin now, & I went and read the ad for the unit you bought that is for the police cars/emergency vehicles to leave them running while at emergency scenes etc. It looks fine and is probably good quality and reliable if the cops are useing them. However, as much as I would like to bring you over from the Ford camp and keep you a loyal Chevy Truck owner I can't help you. I had an epiphany when I was reading the ad and I remembered what I read in the "site rules" for The GM Truck Club.
    I don't want to break the rules here cuz I really like this place and don't want to get bumped off it. I have posted the site rules below and highlighted the part that applies to me helping you do this. Sorry, but I just can't help you...... Stephan

Chevy Truck Forum - GMTruckClub.com Rules

Forum Rules
    Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click hereto return to the forums index.
    Although the administrators and moderators of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED], nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
    The owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
    Last edited by stephan; 10-03-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Yep JRD, I understand what you're sayin now, & I went and read the ad for the unit you bought that is for the police cars/emergency vehicles to leave them running while at emergency scenes etc. It looks fine and is probably good quality and reliable if the cops are useing them. However, as much as I would like to bring you over from the Ford camp and keep you a loyal Chevy Truck owner I can't help you. I had an epiphany when I was reading the ad and I remembered what I read in the "site rules" for The GM Truck Club.
    I don't want to break the rules here cuz I really like this place and don't want to get bumped off it. I have posted the site rules below and highlighted the part that applies to me helping you do this. Sorry, but I just can't help you...... Stephan

Chevy Truck Forum - GMTruckClub.com Rules

Forum Rules
    Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click hereto return to the forums index.
    Although the administrators and moderators of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED], nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
    The owners of [ARG:2 UNDEFINED] reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

First of, I think that is meant towards posting messages insulting other's feelings.

Secondly, this would not violate any laws if it is used only on private property.
    California Vehicle Code, for the most part, doesn't cover private property.

Lastly, if it is against the rules to create posts that "otherwise violative of any laws.", then a good majority of these posts should be deleted off this forum.
    For example, in California, legally, you must have a muffler that "prevents any excessive or unusual noise". Anything louder than stock can be considered "excessive", so, if you have anything muffler like Flowmasters or Magnaflow and items like that, it's illegal. So, are you saying those posts should be shut down/deleted too?

If you don't support my idea of what I want to do, or don't like it, then please just don't post about it. Please don't come on my post and tell me that it's against the rules when it's not.

Legend
    Blog Entries

JRD says: If you don't support my idea of what I want to do, or don't like it, then please just don't post about it.
    I wasn't trying to insult you, and I didn't say I didn't like it, I was just explaining why it isn't in my best interest to help you do this. Like I said I don't want to lose my membership here. If you want to put one on your vehicle go ahead. I'm not stopping you, I just don't want to be a part of it.

re; your analogy to noisy mufflers being illegal in Cali, yeah they are but there is a world of difference between a noisy muffler, and some nut stealing your vehicle that you left running, and running over some kid when the cops start chasing him.

Private property; If you're only going to use this vehicle on your private property, why are you so worried about someone stealing it? Do you have masses of car thieves swarming over your property all the time?

From the forum rules: By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

JRD says: First of, I think that is meant towards posting messages insulting other's feelings.
    Yes JRD, but this portion of the site rules is referring to breaking civil & criminal laws in society -----> or otherwise violative of any laws.
    That is the part of the site rules I would be breaking if I help you do this. Like I said I wasn't trying to insult you, I was just telling you why I don't want to help you do this.

I wasn't trying to insult you, and I didn't say I didn't like it, I was just explaining why it isn't in my best interest to help you do this. Like I said I don't want to lose my membership here. If you want to put one on your vehicle go ahead. I'm not stopping you, I just don't want to be a part of it.
    Then just don't post in this thread? I don't see every other member posting in here saying "I don't want to be a part of this".

re; your analogy to noisy mufflers being illegal in Cali, yeah they are but there is a world of difference between a noisy muffler, and some nut stealing your vehicle that you left running, and running over some kid when the cops start chasing him.
    Yes, that is true.
    But, breaking the law is still breaking the law, correct?
    If you want to be technical and say that this is illegal to make a modification like this, then making a modification like a "noisy muffler" is against the rules as well. A rule is a rule. And, I'm trying to figure out if someone knows if this will work the way I want it to so I don't have my truck stolen.If it won't, not going to do it. Seeing that the Fords do this no problem, I'm sure the Chevrolet's would as well, and just wanted to see if someone on here knew/has done this before.

If you're only going to use this vehicle on your private property, why are you so worried about someone stealing it? Do you have masses of car thieves swarming over your property all the time?
    In today's society, you never know what's gonna happen. You just never know.

Yes JRD, but this portion of the site rules is referring to breaking civil & criminal laws in society -----> or otherwise violative of any laws.
    But, again, this is not violating any laws.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Oh God give me patience.
    Since no other members have answered this post, they are apparently smarter than I was and knew beforehand it was against the law in Cali. It's called Culpability by Proxy

Re: site rules: Maybe you should click the REPORT BUTTON and see how many moderators show up. I'm sure they will clear this issue up for you.
    Last edited by stephan; 10-04-2010 at 04:42 AM.