GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Chevy Suburban door wont slide off its pins

2003 Chevy Suburban, 2500:

The driver's door sags and per all the internet postings, its supposed to be a sinch to change.
    C
    an someone explain why my door wont slide up, off the pins? With retaining bolt removed, no amount of leveraging with a floor jack from below the door worked.
    Please see attached photos of upper and lower driver's side door hinge,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UpperDriverDrHng.jpg   lowerDriverDrHng.jpg  

Legend
    Blog Entries

Glitch;
    I don't know if I'm the right person to answer your que. but nobody else has taken a shot at it so.....
    My passenger door was sagging about 5 years ago and I couldn't figure out how to adjust it. It actually appears like my hinge is welded to the body, but I took all the bolts out and tried anyway, but I never could move it, so I just gave up & put the bolts back in and gently persuaded it into alighment with a floor jack and a 2x4 to protect the door. NOT the right way to do it, but I had no other options other than to cut if off with a torch and weld on a new one. Look closely and see if you can see welding beads around your hinge...
    If you end up doing this, then go gently with the floor jack, small steps, and keep checking it so you don't go too far.

Thanks for the idea, but the door's not that a big bother to torch and weld it. Just figured it could have been a simple fix.

The usual fix for a sagging door is replacing the hinge pin and the hinge pin bushings. This process does not require the door to come off at all. In fact, the more immobile you can keep the door, the better. Are you trying some process I don't know about?
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    The usual fix for a sagging door is replacing the hinge pin and the hinge pin bushings. This process does not require the door to come off at all. In fact, the more immobile you can keep the door, the better. Are you trying some process I don't know about?
    The way I 've pictured it, is that the door's hinge-bracket hangs on the stubby pins that are
    pressed and bolted in to the body's hinge-bracket. By lifting the door up about one inch, it can
    be moved aside to replace the pin's bushing, and/or
    the stubby pins.

Am I right?

Legend
    Blog Entries

GlitchMobile,
    I'm not sure your hinge arrangement is the same as mine. I went out and looked at it and it's difficult to compare them. If I could take a photo of mine and have it right beside your pic on the computer then maybe I could tell. The biggest difficulty is that your hinge is dissasembled and mine is not so comparing them is a bit apples-oranges

Crawdaddy, That's true, the pins and bushings is the first fix to try. The play in my pins/bushings weren't that bad but I replaced them anyway, hoping it would bring the door up, but it only came up about 1/8" and the gap at the top cab line was still 3/8"
    I tried to adjust at the hinge and saw it was welded so resorted to bending it back up. I think this truck was wrecked at one time on the rf.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    GlitchMobile,
    I'm not sure your hinge arrangement is the same as mine. I went out and looked at it and it's difficult to compare them. If I could take a photo of mine and have it right beside your pic on the computer then maybe I could tell. The biggest difficulty is that your hinge is dissasembled and mine is not so comparing them is a bit apples-oranges.
    My Burb's hinges are comparable to the ones that TotalAuto offers replacements for (http://www.totalauto.com/presentation/index.html). The door effectively hangs on two pins per hinge, and a center bolt locking clamp prevents the door from lifting off the pins.

Per the videos they show the door is supposed to come apart easily. Mine doesn't, because the pins are corroded.
    Last edited by GlitchMobile; 10-05-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: video link showing hinge and pins, w/ abreviated how-to