GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Will 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton front diff parts interchange??????

ok need some help. i have a 3/4 ton truck with a half ton front diff with brand new 35" tires on it (was like this when i bought it).. i have a front and rear to put in it with 4.10 gears vs the 3.73s that are shot in it right now. I dont want to loose my front tires being that they are 15 inch vs the 16.5's that are on the rear, so my question is can i swap carriors and pinions from my 8 lug housing to my half ton housing?? the only thing else i can think of is there anway i can convert my 8 lug front diff to 6 lug so i can still use my tires?? with the tires being over $200 a piece i really dont want to part with them till they are bald then i can eventually make the front diff 8 lug like it should be... any help wiuld be great

What year and type of truck?

sorry. its a 87 chevy truck body on a 83 chevy truck frame

Sr. Mechanic

you can get an adapter the will bolt onto the 8 lug and convert to 6, look in the back of a 4x4 mag or goolge 6 lug to 8 lug adapters. will have to use acorn lug nuts to attach the adapter to the hub.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

you can just make sure the housings are the same size and it should work

The 2 axles should be completely different and no parts will swap over. The 3/4 ton rear axle should be a 14-bolt, and it will be very expensive to swap it over to a 6-lug. I think if you do convert the axles to 6-lug full float, while you won't be able to keep the same rims, you should be able to fit 15 inch rims on.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage