GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Painting stock wheels?

I have a 2005 Silverado Crew Cab with the 17" chrome wheels and I really don't like the chrome and I don't have money to buy new rims and tires. What's the best way of going about painting the wheels? Should I just sand them down really good with 600 grit sand paper and put 3 coats of Rust-Oleum black wheel paint?

If you would ever want to go back to your stock finish I would look at Plasti dip. It comes in black, red and white I believe. I am going to do my stock '08 wheels in black in a few weeks. No prep work just tape off and spray. The cans are about $6 each and should take about 5 cans to do all 4 wheels. Check it out!

________2013 4C Rated__________

Will the Plasti dip hold up to the heat from the brakes and wheels?

Interested and looking at doing this as well

does plasti-dip come in a spray? I also dont think it will hold or look very nice as it would be hard to get an even coat with out it being in spray form

googled and came up with this that looks preety good http://carbodywork.blogspot.com/2006....html#comments

in summary

sand with 300 grit, tape and cover everything you don't want painted (tires, valve stem, ground, etc) paint, dry, clear coat, admire beautiful new rims
    Last edited by SmokeU; 10-06-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: forgot to add the stupid link...
    2004 Chevy Silverado w/ 5.3L V8 / Z71 / Shorty

Would rather be going too fast then too slow:out:

I've done GM aluminum wheels with Rustoleum wheel paint. My track wheels, stock Z06 wheels, are painted with the graphite color. This stuff is gritty with metallic bits so not the choice if you want a smooth finish. Black or other non-metallic color would work. Get the clearcoat, wheel paint version, also. Then you can make the shine last better.

The stuff us heat resistant. My track wheels have race slicks on them sitting over 6-piston race calipers and race pads. Seeing temps in 600-800 degree range on a road course is typical. I've tested with brake paint on the rotors to see how hot they get. The wheel paint has not broken down, chipped, or faded due to the heat. So for a street vehicle it should be no problem.
    2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. Tow Mule.
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06, 5.7L, Slightly Modded. Tow Payload.
    2005 Craftsman Riding Mower, 17hp, light mods.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Will the Plasti dip hold up to the heat from the brakes and wheels?
    Yes, it will hold up to heat like a champ. This is really big in the VW forums and they all have had really good luck with this

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
    Interested and looking at doing this as well

does plasti-dip come in a spray? I also dont think it will hold or look very nice as it would be hard to get an even coat with out it being in spray form

googled and came up with this that looks preety good

in summary

sand with 300 grit, tape and cover everything you don't want painted (tires, valve stem, ground, etc) paint, dry, clear coat, admire beautiful new rims
    It comes in spray can and in a liquid. The spray can would be used for wheel applacations and it does turn out in a pretty even coat. I hang out with V Dubbers sometimes and I have seen a few wheels done in plasti dip and it is hard to tell from powder coated wheels when done right.

________2013 4C Rated__________

No do not sand. If you sand the wheels plasti-dip is not reversible. Its very easy to get an even application if you concentrate and have a little experience. It holds up fine to heat. I know multiple people who use plasti-dipped wheels for auto-x.

I used Plasti-Dip on the inside of the wheels on my wifes HHR about 2 years ago it's held up real well over the last two years, one complaint I do have is it's a little harder to get all the brake dust and road grime off of the plasti-dipped area, thet dont come as clean as before but since I painted them satin black it doesnt show as bad either.

I know a couple of people that have used plasti-dip on wheels with good results. A couple other products I've seen used with excellent results are:

Duplicolor MetalCast (Smoke Anodized)

http://duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

Duplicolor Shadow

http://duplicolor.com/products/shadow/

'01 Blazer LS 4X4
    K&N MSD Gibson

i know i gets pricey but powdercoating is your best bet if you want something that will last, other wise spray bombs are fine but put down a good coat of etch primer
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast