GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2010 Sierra Volant intake Lean Codes

I installed a volant intake on my truck, it worked fine for the first day or so, but then the check engine light came on. Codes: P0171 and P0174 lean codes. I didn't disconnect the battery like the directions informed me while installing. I cleared the codes and then disconnected the battery to maybe reset the MAF. The engine light stayed off for about three days, but it's back now. Does anyone know what may be the cause??

I had the same problem on my 2010 Sierra, but it was a mass airflow sensor code. What I found out was the connector for the sensor would not go all the way on because it would hit the plastic hump on the intake. I used a dremel to remove some material on the intake itself and no more problems. Hope this helps
    Carey - Texas
    2010 GMC RC 5.3 2wd, 3/4 drop, 20" KMC Wheels, Volant intake, Nelson Tune, Kooks Headers, Flowmaster, 4-10" Rockford Fosgate P3S, T1000-1BDCP/T400-1BDCP, Focal 165V30 glass components, new pics coming! And new cam and stall.

Sr. Engineer

Very common issue with the 09+ GM vehicles and the Volants.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

Yeah, I noticed what you said about the connector. Each time I reinstalled it the connector would not connect, I always had to loosen the screws then shove the connector on then tighten the screws down.

Ok I tried what you said about the connector yesterday. I removed some of the raised plastic by the MAF screw and the connector slipped right on. I left the battery disconnected while I worked on it. Hooked everything back up, drove about 10 miles and the CEL popped back up, though it seemed to take longer this time. Is it possible my MAF is fried or my o2 sensors?? I'm currently complaining to Volant about this.

Sr. Engineer

I believe Volant was sending out "new" tubes to folks having CEL issues.
    Black Bear Performance- Custom Tuning Solutions

Authorized EFILive and MAGNACHARGER seller

Normally the most common causes for lean codes bank 1 and 2 are vacuum leaks. Try spraying some brake cleaner around where intake tube connects to throttlebody and air filter box, and small tube while engine is running. See if motor raises rpm at idle where there might be an air leak, just don't spray any sensors directly.
    Carey - Texas
    2010 GMC RC 5.3 2wd, 3/4 drop, 20" KMC Wheels, Volant intake, Nelson Tune, Kooks Headers, Flowmaster, 4-10" Rockford Fosgate P3S, T1000-1BDCP/T400-1BDCP, Focal 165V30 glass components, new pics coming! And new cam and stall.