GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tuner for 08 LMM

I know there is alot threads out there already on tuners, but not many I could find for LMM's. I am about to purchase the Banks Economind powerpack and the Banks Air Intake with the Ram Air Scoop. Just want to make sure this is a wise choice??
    Blacked Out 08 2500HD Silverado Z71 Duramax.
    6" Pro Comp Lift
    Black 18" Pro Comp Wheels
    35" Toyo Open Country M/T's
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks in Front, Bilstein 5125 Shocks in Back
    MagHytec Rear Diff Cover
    Ranch Hand Bull Nose Front Bumper Ranch Hand Rear Bumper
    Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights and Third Brake Light
    Painted Grill
    KC Long Range Slim Lights
    Banks Ram Air w/ scoop
    Banks IQ Economind Powerpack
    Kenwood DNX 7140 DVD Navigation
    Kenwood Rearview Camera
    Kicker ZX400.1 w/ Kicker CVR 10"

Oh boy, how did the Banks work out for ya? Love my Edge Race makes the ol'LMM come to life!

So far I have only been brave enough to put it on the 3rd setting which is only two over stock. And there is a definite difference in power. I haven't been able to get the EGT sensor installed yet because I haven't figured out how to drill and tap the manifold. Fourwheel parts say that they do it with it on the truck, but i don't see how you do it like that with out getting shavings falling inside. And to get the manifold off you need the special Star sockets. Any suggestions? Once I get that done I will venture past the 3rd setting.
    6" Pro Comp Lift
    MagHytec Rear Diff Cover
    Painted Grill
    Banks Ram Air w/ scoop
    Kenwood Rearview Camera

EFI Live, probably the best program you can ever buy for the duramax engine.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Im not an expert on it, but everything I have read and researched. Shows that the Banks is the best all around Tuner for any vehicle. Meaning safest on engine and trans.. And still plenty of horsepower and fuel mileage gains. I have heard many good things on the EFI live as well, but I have also heard many stories of trans., engine, and code issues that have come up down the road from the tuners.
    6" Pro Comp Lift
    MagHytec Rear Diff Cover
    Painted Grill
    Banks Ram Air w/ scoop
    Kenwood Rearview Camera

One note to all of you on this subject. The Allison trans is not designed for additional HP. You can go about 90HP over stock but I would recommend not even going to level 3 on the Edge unit(I have the edge juice w/ attitude). I do not know the power settings on the Banks units but make sure you do not go 90HP over stock without doing some trans work. The Allison is a bullet proof trans stock but you can easily break it with over tuning. I would hate to see any of you lose a trans.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackedoutduramax View Post
    So far I have only been brave enough to put it on the 3rd setting which is only two over stock. And there is a definite difference in power. I haven't been able to get the EGT sensor installed yet because I haven't figured out how to drill and tap the manifold. Fourwheel parts say that they do it with it on the truck, but i don't see how you do it like that with out getting shavings falling inside. And to get the manifold off you need the special Star sockets. Any suggestions? Once I get that done I will venture past the 3rd setting.
    I installed mine on the truck. What I did is make sure the truck is running so the pressure pushes out where you are drilling. I had a shop vac running to pull the burrs out wile I drilled. I put just a tiny bit of grease on the tap to hold burrs and still used the shop vac wile tapping. I am confident no debris got into the manifold.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com