GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Change Oil reminder (Oil Life Monitor)

I have recently purchased an 03 2500 silverado, 2WD. The change oil message came up on the instrument cluster message system, so I changed the oil and filter. How do I reset the timer because the message keeps coming up. My manual shows two buttons on the the steering column that toggle between the functions, but mine doesn't have that. I have a push button on the dash display, that toggles between mileage, business, personal, etc, but doesn't seem to allow me to reset the change oil message. The manual says something like use pushbutton to reset if applicable....
    Whats the trick? thanks
    dale

Blog Entries

If you have an owners manual, it explains how to do it in there. However, all you have to do is turn the key to "ON" (do not start the truck) and press on the gas three times in less than 5 seconds, and it should pop up saying "Oil Life Reset".
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Try turning the key to start, but don't start the truck, then quickly depress the gas pedal five times. This is how its done on my '05 Z-71, don't know if its the same for your truck but try it.

thanks guys, the manual doesn't mention anything like that, I will try it tonite. Great forum!

Ive always done it by turning it to start/on (but dont start the engine) pump the gas pedal 5 times quickly turn off then start the engine. should say oil life reset.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Worked perfectly, thanks everyone
    d

Your welcome.

It doesn't say in your manual so you have to take it into the dealer to service. I was suprised to see that the tire pressure monitor sensor re-calibration instructions were in the manual though!

Quote Originally Posted by dedmon27 View Post
    It doesn't say in your manual so you have to take it into the dealer to service. I was suprised to see that the tire pressure monitor sensor re-calibration instructions were in the manual though!
    Are you talking about....How to re-set the Oil Change Message and not being in the Manual and having taking into the dealer to service??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    If you have an owners manual, it explains how to do it in there. However, all you have to do is turn the key to "ON" (do not start the truck) and press on the gas three times in less than 5 seconds, and it should pop up saying "Oil Life Reset".
    yes, that's how it is done in my truck (2003 chevy silverado 2500hd 4x4)