GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I also say long tube headers. Kooks now offer 49 state EPA approved cats.
    Joseph Williamson
    Kook's Custom Headers

Email - jwilliamson@kookscustomheaders.com

Long tubes are the only way to go. I bought pacesetter long tubes for 350 and a new y pipe ment to hook up to long tubes for 400. I installed the headers myself to save money but had a shop weld everything up for only 130. Plus there wasn't any room for the cats so they got removed ( which I was happy about as well). I love the sound plus there was a noticeable increase in power, along with 1 MPG increase in milage. I talked to the shop owner and they said if I hadn't bought the y pipe they could have made me one and welded everything up for 450. So theres food for thought if you are looking to save every penny you can. Hope this helps someone

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Shorties are good if you have emmission laws etc. Long tubes do make more power. Also if you buy a set of long tubes with the intermediate pipe and you have a suspension lift, leveling kits are o.k., the cross over pipe may hit the front driveshafts on 4X4 trucks.
    That pretty much sums it up! It's all about what you are looking for. Tuners I have talked to have said that the stock manifolds are pretty much as good as you can get for torque, and shorty headers don't yield your $$ worth.
    '88 Jimmy 4X4
    5.3l L59/ 4L60E Tuned by Tad
    4" Lift 33" BFG. Custom Brush Guard, KCs, outside spare, Oil pan guard etc.

The downside to living in Cali.... LT's are out of the question for me. :(

Jr. Mechanic

Yes, one of the many prices we pay to live in Komiforniastan!

Are shorties worth it if there are plans for cam upgrades or will it still have the same benefit as the stock manifolds? I found Pacesetter shorties used for $200 on craigslist.
    Charles 02 z71 Cladded Avy
    Mods: eBay k&n Intake, highflow magnaflow cats & y pipe, 6" FabTech lift, 35" Pro Comps, Superchips #2715, SnugTop, 4.56's, MOOG front end
    Wishes: LQ4 + a beefed up 4L60E

Quote Originally Posted by kinson33 View Post
    Are shorties worth it if there are plans for cam upgrades or will it still have the same benefit as the stock manifolds? I found Pacesetter shorties used for $200 on craigslist.
    It depends on the cam. If it's a big lumpy cam made to make power at high RPMs, shorties aren't going to match up well with it. If it's a cam designed to maximize low end torque and mid-range power, then shorties will match up better.

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    It depends on the cam. If it's a big lumpy cam made to make power at high RPMs, shorties aren't going to match up well with it. If it's a cam designed to maximize low end torque and mid-range power, then shorties will match up better.
    Gotchya... what about a supercharger? Any benefit to the shorties over stock? Considering it in the next year or so if I hit my bonuses at work!

Quote Originally Posted by kinson33 View Post
    Gotchya... what about a supercharger? Any benefit to the shorties over stock? Considering it in the next year or so if I hit my bonuses at work!
    It still primarily depends on the cam. Shorties are better for low-end torque and giving a little (tiny) hand with fuel economy (need plenty of mods to get noteworthy MPG gains, not just headers). Long tubes are better for making high RPM power (which is fairly useless by itself, if you're not racing multi-lap round-track or such).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12