GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice smokeyandthebandit's Avatar

Default Installing jvc kw nt3hd with amps and subs on 06 sierra 1500 crew

HI guys this is my first post here. I have an unmolested 2006 gmc sierra that is about to receive her first upgrade. I have read recently that I will lose door chimes and there is no acc. power supplied at the harness is this true? Is it worth it to me to spend money on door chimes? I also noticed that I won't be able to run my new speaker wire through to my door without drilling a hole for the wire. I hate doing stuff like that cuz I want it to blend in. Any ideas? This truck is posing at quite the challenge to fit with equipment due to lack of space but I'm gonna try so any suggestions would help.

nobody? I would think someone else out there has done this before and has some good write up's on it.

Master Mechanic

i have a 2006 silverado. mine didn't have the door chimes and yes there is no acc. plug in the wiring. i ran my constant power and acc wire to the fuse box. also you don't need to drill holes in the door. you can take the rubber cromet that hides the factory wires from the truck to the door and run a coat hanger thru it and tie your wires to it and pull easily. this i how i did mine. here is a link to how i did mine. the stereo stuff is about half way down in my post. i put a kenwood deck, alpine 4 channel amp, 6 1/2 sony doors and 4" infinity rears. hope this helps and if you have any question feel free to ask.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...odays-Projects

Andy

2002 Tahoe LT---------TINTED WINDOWS------------7" DUAL DVD INDASH

If you want to save many headaches and remove the guess work try this...http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wSwWTKR...=detailed_info

You can shop around and find variation on a Aftermarket Interface adapter. Crutchfield tends to be pretty expensive but you get the idea. No spicing into factory wiring, retain all chimes & factory features.
    >>>2003 Suburban K1500 LT<<<

Currently:
    ~Rear overhead DVD
    ~Orion 600D
    ~ 12" Acoustic Elegance AV12
    ~Hankook ATM DynPro A/T's
    ~Flowmaster exhaust

I decided to go to a pro shop for this install and I'm glad i did. when they first gave it back they did not hook up the speed pulse sensor for the gps or the illumination wire so i brought it back. they said that they usually don't hook that stuff up because the pac device doesn't have that. So they tapped the illumination wire into my marker lights for a positive connection to dimmer of the head unit when the lights come on.they told me that everything in the dash runs on negative current and that was the only way to get it to work. IS THIS A BAD IDEA? they also tapped into the speed pulse for the gps (not sure where but it is in the P.L.C). I also had them install sirius sat radio. Nothing is cheap for any of this stuff so $200 bucks for install was well worth it in case of warranty issues. I will post some pic's when i get around to hooking up the amps and subs. Also when I put the kicker component speakers in the front I did not use the crossover they supplied and tapped them into the factory wires that were there. It sounded fine with the stock deck but When I crank it up now I can here what sounds like my tweeters clipping especially with deep bass music like rap, so I'm not exactly sure how the factory stereo crossed it over cuz it seems like I'm getting bass to my tweeters. I'm hooking up the crossovers tomorrow to see if there is any difference.
    Last edited by smokeyandthebandit; 09-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit View Post
    I decided to go to a pro shop for this install and I'm glad i did. when they first gave it back they did not hook up the speed pulse sensor for the gps or the illumination wire so i brought it back. they said that they usually don't hook that stuff up because the pac device doesn't have that. So they tapped the illumination wire into my marker lights for a positive connection to dimmer of the head unit when the lights come on.they told me that everything in the dash runs on negative current and that was the only way to get it to work. IS THIS A BAD IDEA? they also tapped into the speed pulse for the gps (not sure where but it is in the P.L.C). I also had them install sirius sat radio. Nothing is cheap for any of this stuff so $200 bucks for install was well worth it in case of warranty issues. I will post some pic's when i get around to hooking up the amps and subs. Also when I put the kicker component speakers in the front I did not use the crossover they supplied and tapped them into the factory wires that were there. It sounded fine with the stock deck but When I crank it up now I can here what sounds like my tweeters clipping especially with deep bass music like rap, so I'm not exactly sure how the factory stereo crossed it over cuz it seems like I'm getting bass to my tweeters. I'm hooking up the crossovers tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

The aftermarket deck provides more watts to the speakers then the factory deck does. So That could possibly be a reason. I would hook the crossovers up anyway. Are you hooking up a amp for the door speakers? If you are I would just keep the speakers on a lower volume until you install the crossovers and amp.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

I know there is more wattage from the new deck but it is only half what these speakers are rated for @20 watts rms. I got kicker coaxial ks 65.01 in the rear rated @45 watts rms each and ks 65.02 component speakers in the front which are also rated for 45 watts rms. This is there claim to fame.....The Kicker 08KS650.2 6.5" 300 watt (150 each) component speakers are the perfect addition to any car stereo. These speakers, will give you way better surround sound, than regular 2 way speakers.
    These powerful, top-of-the line component speakers produce crisp highs and mids. These are some of the best speakers on the market, and they normally sell at stores and on the web for over 175.00 plus shipping. so I don't think this deck would be to powerful for them. I have a phoenix gold rsd 320/4 amp to hook up to them to match the rms wattage of 45 per channel. Also the rear coaxial speakers do not make this clipping sound just the front. I will let you guys know how it turns out.
    Last edited by smokeyandthebandit; 09-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.

If the rear doesn't make the same clipping noise then for sure hook up the crossovers.

I hooked up the crossovers last night and it works like it should now. The tweeters were definitely were getting full range sound to them. It still starts distorting at high volume because the factory wires are the small but it is still a big improvement over the stock deck so if you don't plan on hooking up separate amps I would recommend running thicker gauge wires to the deck. Now I have to start designing mounting brackets for the amps, and buy some good subs that will fit behind the back seat.
    Last edited by smokeyandthebandit; 09-05-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Are you going to replace the wiring going to the door speakers from the amp?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by