GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Talking Newbie needs advice. 2002 Tahoe SPEAKER question

I have a 2002 Tahoe with a factory sub. I need speaker advice please. All four door speakers and the factory sub need to be replaced. The tweeters above the hatch sound fine, everything else rattles. I wish to replace spkers with easy to install, same size spkrs. I am going to replace the head unit with a Pioneer deh-7200hd so I can use my ipod and listed to hd as well. Any suggestions on good sounding affordable replacements. I looked at Crutchfields and got even more confused, too many choices. Thanks

Whats your budget? You can get a great set of component set of speakers for $150ish and sometimes a little less and coaxial speakers can vary greatly (pricewise) but you'll get the best sound out of components. Also, what size are your 'Hoe's speakers? 6.5's?
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Thumbs up Speaker size in 2002 Tahoe

Thanks for the reply, Crutchfields.com say the tahoe has 6 3/4 speakers in all four doors. One of their best picks for my doors are the Pioner TS-D1702R coaxials. Looks like they might be an exact fit. Would also be a major upgrade from factory spkrs too. I do not have a Bose system, but I do have a factory installed small sub. with Onstar. A friend told me Tahoes thru 2002 had an analog Onstar system and would not work any longer since Onstar went digital. He also said I should leave it all hooked up so my warning chimes would still work. I wish someone that had been thru all this with a pre 03 Tahoe could give me some tips. I would like to know the size of the factory sub in the rear panel before I begin to try to remove it. I wish to order all my spkrs and radio before I take my truck apart. Thanks

IMO, I wouldn't go w/ Pioneer coaxials, Pioneer makes great head units but their speakers are really harsh sound wise. Components will give you an overall better sound, but obviously they cost more. I would check out some of Alpine, JL Audio or Hifonics for door speakers. Also, check out http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ they have a really great selection of car audio stuff and in most cases better prices than Crutchfield. As for the factory sub, it's an 8 in. 2-ohm sub. For the OnStar I would recommend calling up Crutchfield and asking them.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Are you going to use a new Amp? If not don't look at high watt Speakers. They will want more power then the radio will give.. Most aftermarket radio's give between 18-22 Watt's RMS at the most.. A goos speaker wants 30+ watts to sound good at higher Volume. If no amp a Alpine type S will sound good or a JL TR's will have a better midbass with the radio power. I think your Tahoe has the 6 3/4 front and rear and it might still have the Garbage 4x10's in the roof in the back.. Don't bother with them not worth it.. As for the Factory sub.. I think it is a 10in... I always took them out and put a good 5 ch amp in there and added a good sub..

As said before Pioneer,Infinty and JBL speakers never sounded good.. Cheap yes but Harsh and Bright....In 20 years+ of car audio I never told a customer to buy them...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by TELORVEHC View Post
    IMO, I wouldn't go w/ Pioneer coaxials, Pioneer makes great head units but their speakers are really harsh sound wise. Components will give you an overall better sound, but obviously they cost more. I would check out some of Alpine, JL Audio or Hifonics for door speakers. Also, check out http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ they have a really great selection of car audio stuff and in most cases better prices than Crutchfield. As for the factory sub, it's an 8 in. 2-ohm sub. For the OnStar I would recommend calling up Crutchfield and asking them.

Sonicelectronix.com doesn't have Manufacture warranties. I've never bought from them, but I've heard many horror stories about their customer service and the way they treat their customers.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

buy a set of component speakers for the front doors and a set of 3 way speakers for the rear. as for the sub i think the oem size is 8" so you should stick with a good brand such as rockford or jbl. a component system consists os 2 woofers (speakers) and 2 crossovers (mini amps) and 2 tweeters. with components you want to stick with good brands cause cheap stuff will blow out quicker. a 3 way speaker basically means the speaker itself has 3 min tweeters in the center of it. i have tried many speaker combos in my truck over the past 6 years and the component in the front and 3 way in the back works the best. i stuck with all rockford brand speakers and my truck is louder than i can handle. good luck.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by senorbob999 View Post
    buy a set of component speakers for the front doors and a set of 3 way speakers for the rear. as for the sub i think the oem size is 8" so you should stick with a good brand such as rockford or jbl. a component system consists os 2 woofers (speakers) and 2 crossovers (mini amps) and 2 tweeters. with components you want to stick with good brands cause cheap stuff will blow out quicker. a 3 way speaker basically means the speaker itself has 3 min tweeters in the center of it. i have tried many speaker combos in my truck over the past 6 years and the component in the front and 3 way in the back works the best. i stuck with all rockford brand speakers and my truck is louder than i can handle. good luck.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? First off A Crossover is NOT a Amp... A Crossover will put the right Frequency to the right speaker. NOT Boost the power. It's job is to make sure the Lows go to the Mids or Bass speakers and the Highs go to the tweeters.

2nd A 3 way speaker is good for Ear bleeds not for a clean sound.. MORE IS NOT BETTER... IF you like a Harsh sound and Bright highs that hide the Midbass then go for it. But you will be missing 1/2 your sound..

ok we are talking about a Tahoe here.. Front is a 6 1/2 but some people have used 6 and 3/4 in there same with the rear door. A good sounding Comp's are from Co's like JL Audio,Focal,Alpine,Boston, and there are a few other high ends that are sold at some places like Rainbow and Moral.. But hard to find. As for the Cheap 4x10's in the roof in the back Don't bother.. I have taken them out and put a 5 1/4 comp up there and had some good sound. Just make sure you have the right power to them.. (A good amp) As for the Sub there are many that can fit back there.. I have taken out the factory one many times and put in JL Audio 10w3's and with the right box built it sounded great....

Good luck and please ask if you need help...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X