GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Cutting top off Suburban

Hey, I am NOT a techie but want to buy a 91 or older suburban and chop the top and make it a convertible. Anyone done this? Any guidance? Thanks.

Default Cutting top off Suburban

Hey, I am not a techie but thinking about buying a 91 suburban and cutting the top off and making a convertible. Anyone ever tried this and have any advice?

I've seen it done a couple times on Pirate 4x4, and frankly, I didn't like the way they looked. However, I'm totally biased because I could never wish such devastation on such a fine piece of classic engineering beauty. They usually chop them right after the back doors and put a bulkhead in right there to close in the cab. Then they build a tube cage over the "bed" and wheel the bejesus out of them.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

X2 what Crawdaddy said about chopping up a 'Burb.

I did something similar to my '91 Subaru Legacy....turned it into a truck.
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

There's a guy from LI,NY With one custom.. With about 20 TV's and a big audio system. Very sweet.. He has a Big bar going up the middle with some of the TV's..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

******threads Merged******** please dont post the same question more than once. Thanks
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Sounds like an interesting project. You're going to have to reinforce the body from front to back, and with such a long body, that's going to be a major issue. Otherwise, you'll probably get a sag in the middle of the frame.

x2 on reinforcing it. This is part of why convertible vehicles cost so much more than the hardtop version of the same car. In order to compensate for the fact that the roof is a major structural part of the vehicle, you will need to do a lot of reinforcing, or you will have a ton of body flex at the very least. Other than that, it should be pretty straightforward as long as you don't want to put a soft top or anything on it. Just make sure you weld caps onto the spaces and edges where you cut it, otherwise the sharp edges will be dangerous and you will have a pretty ghetto ride. Cool project though, and good luck with it.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Jr. Apprentice

I helped a dude up here do a blazer conversion on an '81. We found an old blazer at the auto salvage and bought a top from CL. We cut the bed rails and the rear portion of the roof of the blazer out(one piece) and, after cutting the burb, patched the blazer assembly in. This allowed us to use the removable top from the Blazer. I also turned a 1992 caprice station wagon into an El Camino using the same technique back in Texas. Good luck, take your time, do it right.
    Still can't find that damn blinker fluid reservoir.....

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by