GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Thud in Left Front Suspension

'95 tahoe, 2 door, over the past few months a noise has been occurring in the drivers said front (I'm assuming suspension) and it's becoming more frequent. Whenever I'm doing sharp right hand cornering and "plowing" the front left, I get a single loud thud. The same sometimes happens over larger bumps, like speed bumps, etc. Any idea what it would be, these are the only two circumstances that it happens during. Thanks guys.

Kyle

1995 Chevy Tahoe LS, 2 door, 5 SPEED! 5.7L TBI, headlights and taillights, luminics pure blue halogens, delta 44 flowmaster, K&N Cold Air Intake, Street Performance Throttle Body Spacer, LED blinker and taillight bulbs, all 12 interior bulbs converted to blue LEDs, blue interior LED kit, Nu image gauge faces, Panasonic deck with Kenwood performance speakers all around
    NEW: 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers (16x10 Dick Cepek Dc-2's soon to come!)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Kyle;
    It sounds like somethings trying to reset/reposition itself because you're putting a lot of lateral pressure on it in the hard turn, and also upward & downward pressure when you hit the speed bumps. I would guess maybe a ball joint but wouldn't limit my search to that.
    It's either smth that's loose because it's well worn out, or loose because the fasteners that hold it are coming loose. It could be something simple but for safetys sake I would check everything.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

I had this same exact problem on my 07 Avalanche, took it in and it ended up being the coil resetting. They had to put a mini camera in the wheel well to dup it. It took me readjusting the spring and it was good to go. Nothing was wrong, just annoying.

Check your body mounts. I see your truck is a '95 so they may be rotted because of age.

I have an identicle problem.. but with my front right, I agree thats it's something in the suspension... but there's not exactly a normal instance that it happens during, and sometimes well atleast when I notice it the most, I'm not even moving half the time, or I'm barely rolling, and for some reason there's a slight.. just a little weight shift, and I"ll hear it, sometimes I can feel it, sounds like it's right beneath front pass. floor board.. which there's not much there other then the torsion bar...and the only time those got messed with was when I was change out the torsion keys for them over a year ago, and I just recently started hearing the noise in the last few months
    1998 Sierra Ext. Cab Z71
    Projector headlights
    Flow Master 40 Series Delta Flow w/ Dual Exhaust
    2" suspenion lift
    camo vynil trim
    camo Z71 decals
    soon to be new tires and rims, and possibly wheel spacers and
    throttle body spacer
    From Oklahoma, Currently in VA.... VA sucks by the way....

Thanks guys, after going out and looking at it I've also noticed that the tire is wearing slanted, more so on the outside, and I forgot to mention I've got oversized 33" all terrains, but the alignment should be right cuz it was professionally done less than 5k ago when I bought the tires, but thanks for the input. I'm definately going to go through everything. Thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Hey guys, just went outside with pops and jacked it up, and the stabalizer link was no longer attached. lmao. Might be sort of a problem. Bottom ball joint is also junk. Thanks for the help guys!

Kyle

1995 Chevy Tahoe LS, 2 door, 5 SPEED! 5.7L TBI, headlights and taillights, luminics pure blue halogens, delta 44 flowmaster, K&N Cold Air Intake, Street Performance Throttle Body Spacer, LED blinker and taillight bulbs, all 12 interior bulbs converted to blue LEDs, blue interior LED kit, Nu image gauge faces, Panasonic deck with Kenwood performance speakers all around
    NEW: 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers (16x10 Dick Cepek Dc-2's soon to come!)