GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Engineer

Glad I could humour you

After some reading though I may do the flush & switch to amsoil. I've always used Castrol or Mobil 1 but this once a year thing seems the way to go. Hmmmm the wheels in my head are turning....
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Interesting timing on this thread, as I just picked up 6 qts of Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic Blend last night, to change today. I've got 115k miles on my Sierra, I've always used synthetic blends in previous vehicles, I'm indecisive so often choose "best of both worlds" and couldn't decide between full syn. or std. when I first started changing oil. I also don't rack up a ton of miles, 12k or so per year, so I only change my oil twice a year. I've long believed that the 3k was BS, especially with synthetic, and I've never paid much heed to the 3-month recommendation either. I never seem to be down more than 1/4 qt when I drain it, and I've heard losing/burning is not uncommon in these trucks.
    Truck: 2005 GMC Sierra SLT
    Toy: 2006 Honda 599

I use Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W30 in my car and in both of my trucks. All 3 have well over 150K on them. I figure if the high mileage blend helps keep the engines running longer without issues, it's worth the 2-3 extra dollars per oil change. I'm almost certain that the Castrol high mileage is a dino oil, but I change the oil every 3000 miles in the car, and every 3000 miles or a year or so, whichever comes first on the trucks (it's usually the year because I don't drive them often).
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I always to regular oil changes and I think thats the biggest thing. Have always used castrol gtx (and i will swear by the castrol no sludge claims). then switched to catrol syntec and did changes every 6k instead of my normal 3k. It came out to the same cost since i buy the 5 quart jugs at walmart. the last time I used Mobil 1 cuz it was a 1.50 cheaper than castrol (yes I am cheap to a point, even though I still use good oil). All the different blends (truck/suv, normal, high mileage) were all the same price. I have 140k on the altima and 80k on the truck using the normal stuff and no issues. I think if you have maintained and done routine maintenance there is no need for the high mileage oil. but when its the same price as it was with the mobil 1 it doesnt hurt. But at this point with my vehicles I dont see the need.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Sr. Apprentice

I have had great luck with valvoline maxlife over the years.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I always to regular oil changes and I think thats the biggest thing. Have always used castrol gtx (and i will swear by the castrol no sludge claims). then switched to catrol syntec and did changes every 6k instead of my normal 3k. It came out to the same cost since i buy the 5 quart jugs at walmart. the last time I used Mobil 1 cuz it was a 1.50 cheaper than castrol (yes I am cheap to a point, even though I still use good oil). All the different blends (truck/suv, normal, high mileage) were all the same price. I have 140k on the altima and 80k on the truck using the normal stuff and no issues. I think if you have maintained and done routine maintenance there is no need for the high mileage oil. but when its the same price as it was with the mobil 1 it doesnt hurt. But at this point with my vehicles I dont see the need.
    Seen in your sig you have a throttle body spacer... I was just wondering if it helped any? I was told that its a waste of money on newer vehicles. Carburated and tbi engines benifit from it because the fuel atomizes thru the throttle body.
    2003 Silverado LS 1500 Xcab 5.3 vortec 3.73 rear.
    2000 Artic White Buick Regal GS, 3.4 pulley, 3"dp, 13.81 @ 101 (sold)
    2002 Z28 Camaro, 1sc, a4, slp lid, headers, cb exhaust, 3.73

Quote Originally Posted by kinglt1 View Post
    I have had great luck with valvoline maxlife over the years.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Seen in your sig you have a throttle body spacer... I was just wondering if it helped any? I was told that its a waste of money on newer vehicles. Carburated and tbi engines benifit from it because the fuel atomizes thru the throttle body.
    I cant say that I noticed much with it on. It does whistle at about 70-75 mph. I havent taken it off and compared again from when I originally did it. I put it on at the same time as the CAI. but I could see how its not gonna do much on the direct injected since the fuel isnt mixed at the throttle body.

Mobil 1 Synthetic makes a synthetic oil for SUV's, Pickups, 4wd vehicles.......what is the story on this oil?
    I read the bottle. It said some stuff about hard working vehicles and some stuff they put in it.
    I think I will just stick to the regular mobil synthetic.
    2010 GMC Savana AWD
    Silver Metallic, 5.3L, 3.73 Gears and G80 Heavy Duty Locking Rear Differential, American Racing Off Road Series ATX Chrome Assaults 17X8, BFG T/A KO's 245/70/17 (Stock Size).
    Alpine ida-x303 head unit, Alpine Power Pack, Alpine SPS-600 Speakers
    Viper 350HV car Alarm
    Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers
    42" Slider Windows
    Custom Bed with 6" Memory Foam Mattress
    Avery Berber Carpet

I started using the Castrol High Mileage in my 04 silverado 1500 a little over a year ago when the truck was at 110k, not because of the sludge components and whatnot, but because I started experience piston slab, and sure enough when i switched from regular penzoil to the castrol H.M, the slap went away. I've been using it since and change the oil every 3k miles on the dot and have not experienced the slap since. Also I buy it when Autozone or local auto part stores have a sale on it, and buy in bulk so the price isn't really a factor in my case. Just my two sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    Mobil 1 Synthetic makes a synthetic oil for SUV's, Pickups, 4wd vehicles.......what is the story on this oil?
    I read the bottle. It said some stuff about hard working vehicles and some stuff they put in it.
    I think I will just stick to the regular mobil synthetic.
    the mobil 1 suv is what I used last time. It was the same price as the regular mobil 1 so I gave it a shot, cant say I know what the difference is.

When your truck still has high milage, the regular conventional oil is still as good as the high milage ones. The conventional oil now-a-days is so high tech, you can use the basic stuff (like mobile one, valvoline.. etc) till the day you die. You can just change the oil out every 2,500-3000 miles. Lowers the risk of any problems. (oil is good up untill 5k miles now, but i wouldn't risk it, you lose much of the additives that are already in it)

If you want to, use Sea foam to help clean out the carbon, and protect the seals and everything else.

Hope this Helps.