GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

definitely lots of info here for you ....just remember that oil and filters are cheap compared to having to put a new Crate Engine in-----you have to decide yourself whether the cost difference with regular to high-mileage is worth it. I personally have changed my own oil in about 7 different cars/trucks/vans over the last 25 years, and have never bought high-mileage oil. I have always gone with 3 months / 5000 kilometers between changes, and never get to the 5000 mark----We have bought both new and used over the years, and vehicle engine was never why we changed vehicles/brands.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I cant say that I noticed much with it on. It does whistle at about 70-75 mph. I havent taken it off and compared again from when I originally did it. I put it on at the same time as the CAI. but I could see how its not gonna do much on the direct injected since the fuel isnt mixed at the throttle body.
    I notice you have brake line extensions ??? is this due to the lift you have, and is it really required??thanks---from silverhobey in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ben View Post
    Although this is what Amsoil is designed for, going that long without changing the oil just feels wrong to me. Plus, doing an oil change gives me something to do and is a great escape when trying to get away from the significant other!
    lol. you said it!!!

i buy regular dino oil and change it 3K-5K miles or 4 months whichever comes first. it might be "wasteful" but it gives me something to do and oil can't be too clean (or so i believe). if you have 180,000 KM on the truck and have been running dino oil, i don't think you need to change anything...

lol lol bravo, oil changes are a life blood i cannot imagine going over 5 to 7000 mile on a oil change, most drivers i see start and take off drive short distance and shut down, just think of the moisture in that oil ! i use 5w30 regular valvoline in winter i use 5w30 lucas oil and lucas heavy duty oil treatment in summer when we pull our pop up camper total wt 8,000 lbs. i get 18 to 21 mpg when towing, i use royal purple in rear end,my colorado does a super job..a good oil filter is a great idea i use a k&n oil and air filter,

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

I can be a lazy SOB so I use Mobil 1 10w30 extended service. I use close to one year change interval-maybe 3500 miles on the Suburban but 10,000 miles on the Prius.
    The oil just doesn't get sooty like it did in the old days- better engines better oil I guess.
    217,800 miles-all is well
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Default oil change intervals

it seems this subject changes from year to year, or so some think, I believe it has a lot to do with your driving habits, i say if you start up drive a short distance, then shut down, there is no time to get the engine up to operating temp, there is now more moisture in your oil, that driving habit should be a 3000 mile or 3 month oil change interval, driving highway speeds after a good warm up should be 7000, or 4 months interval in oil change what say you, marine59 ( ken )

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

it seems you have done well with the recorded mileage of your veh. good oil cost more but less exp.than a new engine for sure

well here is my outlook on oil. i have been driving since i was 12years old. 23years now. my first car was a dotsun210 and it went to 256k miles until the rear axle feel out due to rust. i have found Valvoline 5or10w30or40 oil flavored oil has worked out the best. napa brand oil is also made to the same specs.

this being said heres the reason i say it. think of what the newer oils do, they have newer detergents to clean your engine and revive your seals. this is the point that i find very very risky. your high mileage engine has alot of gunk in it, ok, in some/most cases its that gunk thats holding your engine together. also picture this, nasty hardened gritty masses on the internal walls of your engine. guess what? they are safe so long as they stay on the walls. when you add these new detergents they dont just magically desolve that gritty mass. oh no it beats around on everything inside breaking down seals and getting into bearing points, then destroying bearings, piston rings, clogging lifters, and bearing oil runs.

as for seals, if its leaking already then its to late. if its not leaks then keep in mind that the seal will how can i say fluff up in a sense. this will also cause the seal to be weakened possibly then causing a leak.

imo dont look at oils to fix or solve problems. run it with oil flavored oil and fix the problem by replacing the problems as they happen. regular oil flavored oil has been used in plenty of chevy small block engines that got over 200k miles and alot are still going. mine currently has 237,592miles. i can tell the engine is sad just recently. the piston rings are finally starting to break down. come tax return im starting a new engine for it and by spring ill install it using oil flavored oil.
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

mudpuppy well said i agree wholy, my instructor in auto mechanics school had a simple solution to most mechanical problems and that was KISS, ( keep it simple stupid ) always look for the simple solution first, why spend hard earned money on products, that may or may not work esp, oils just because they have a huge add campain on t-v, many mechanics i know have used valvoline for millions of miles with great results.. ( p.s. i do not work for valvoline ), as we all know preventive care is key in many many happy miles.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Yes CHANGE YOUR OIL is obviously the take home lesson.
    But some oils ARE BETTER than others-and that is why GM(the Corvette) and other pricey cars-come with synthetic oils.
    True a Corvette can be run to higher RPMs and MIGHT be run harder(most aren't I would bet regular trucks get hammered more than Corvettes- towing etc)
    Yes change your oil frequently- but modern oils-esp the syn- means frequently isn't so frequently.
    Yeah if you are strictly short trip-gasoline burns to CO2 and H20- better change it more frequently- or run it up to temp every week
    Charlie
    Syn oil change with fancy ext service oil and $10 fancy filter- is just $42 DIY when-WalMart or Auto Zone sale-$100/YR VS $40 for cheapo Dino oils
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

I believe it depends on how well you maintain any vehicle. My dad used Pennzoil conventional 10w30 in all of his cars for 50 years. His last car was a 1983 Town Car that mom gave me after dad passed away. It had 200,000+ miles when I got it, and I drove it 2 years, sold it to a neighbor who is still driving it....still using Pennzoil 10w30 conventional oil. It smokes a tad on start up, but otherwise it runs fine....however, it is on its third transmission.

Point is, today's conventional oil is excellent quality, and proper maintenance will afford long engine life in most cases. I used Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic in my 2006 Escalade with 109,000 miles, and change it every 5000 miles (overkill?). No issues, no leaks, and I see no need to go to any high mileage oil.

I read a couple of articles on the HM oils, and they all indicated that there are extra detergents and seal conditioners in them. Seems like if the engine is in good shape, the extra detergents are not needed nor are the seal conditioners...my dad's oil Lincoln still does not leak.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2011 GMC Sierra HD 2500
    6.0L, Extended Cab, 4x4, 3.73
    2013 Flagstaff "V" Lite, 30', 7300#

Everything "Extended life" is targeted to soccer moms who don't want to be bothered to take the time to change oil. But think about this... If you only change your oil once a year, how often are you doing the other services that go along with that? Chassis lube, air filters, tire rotations, etc. Oil changes are also a great time to inspect parts for wear and damage. While you're under there, you can look at lines, joints and a lot of stuff. If you drive on some of that stuff for the remainder of a year, you might be on the side of the road before your next scheduled oil change!

Extended life? Feh! I like to put my eyes and hands on that stuff every 3k! High mileage oil? Never used it! Don't have any desire to try it. I look at those bottles and start thinking of all of the magic crap that has been added to the bottle and what it will do to other engine parts... Kind of like "Stop Leak". No thanks!

My "new" truck ('95 Silverado) has 176k on it. My '03 had almost 200k, My Prius has 160k, my van has 130k, my Trooper had 250k and the list goes on. All conventional oil with the exception of my very last change. I used Kendall 50/50 blend... largely because they didn't have Havoline. I think I will stay with it. It has 2700 miles on it and I still have 50# of oil pressure at idle and it still looks like it just came out of the bottle.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast