GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Options for stock air box mods?

Haven't found any threads on modifying the stock airbox. My `burb is a weekend warrior for camping and hauling toys with the the 3000 mile road trip to Idaho planned for Christmas.

I need this rig to be bullet proof but also offer decent performance. Normally, I'll get a new rig and start throwing performance upgrades at it to see what works.

In the New Economy () I need to be very conservative. I've had decent luck taking the stock airbox and adding a K&N filter, along with adding more air holes and a small scoop to the hood to direct fresh air right to the airbox.

I was just wondering if there is a standard trick to modifying the factory intake system?

Any pesky silencers or anything hidden inside?

I'm pretty comfortable fabricating stuff and enhancing the factory set-up, and I've even designed and built my own ram air system on my old `92 F250 with the 460 in it...

1997 K1500 Suburban, Mickey Thompson 15x8 rims w/ 33x10.50 BFG ATs, custom roof rack, Hella lights, 1.5" torsion bar crank, cold-air intake, MSD coil, Summit racing wires, More mods to come...

I would definitely be interested in some intake mods, it has been in the back of my mind for a while and I have been debating on whether to buy a kit or make one for my 99 burb. I would rather save the money and make one.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

btw thats a cool lookin setup on that Ford.
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

I've seen guys drill 1/2" holes in the airbox on the fender side and behind the headlight. Than added a stock replacment K&N filter. Seemed to work.

I just saw a thread on this in the HOW TO sections