GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default A rubbing/humming sound...Can anyone help?

I drive a 94' Suburban and recently I have heard this rubbing/humming sound that can only be heard when going from a dead stop into a creep less then 5mph coming from underneath. I was thinking it has something to do with a rotating part reason being is before the humm was short and would come and go with what sounded like the wheel rotation. What I mean is it sounds like there is a certain point it humm's and then goes away for a split second but then comes back. Recently however the humm isn't short and is a little longer but still goes away and comes back. When I am in reverse I do not hear it at all so it only seems to do it in drive. If anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be, please share. I would like to find it myself and maybe take care of this situation before taking it into a shop.

have you tried jacking up each wheel independently and spinning them to find out if you can hear the same sound?

Quote Originally Posted by rudeboi View Post
    I drive a 94' Suburban and recently I have heard this rubbing/humming sound that can only be heard when going from a dead stop into a creep less then 5mph coming from underneath. I was thinking it has something to do with a rotating part reason being is before the humm was short and would come and go with what sounded like the wheel rotation. What I mean is it sounds like there is a certain point it humm's and then goes away for a split second but then comes back. Recently however the humm isn't short and is a little longer but still goes away and comes back. When I am in reverse I do not hear it at all so it only seems to do it in drive. If anyone has any suggestions as to what it could be, please share. I would like to find it myself and maybe take care of this situation before taking it into a shop.
    I heard the same sound coming from the rear tire on my wife's uplander as i was coming back from the car wash yesterday.I'm taking it to my cousins tonight to try and figure out where its coming from,will let you know tommorow.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

I have. Actually I jacked up all four, placed on stands and set the car in drive. Nothing, no sound. I think it had to do with the weight of the truck on the tires which led me to think it might be the axles but what part of the axles?

Uplanders are known for front end problems .I'm taking it in on friday to have them look at whats making the sound.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Sr. Engineer

U-joint??
    I had this wierd squeaking noise coming from the rear end of my truck.
    I thought it was the wheel bearing maybe.....but eventually my U-Joint was sheered so I changed him out and the sound I was having went away.

In short, inspect the U-joint if you can....
    My U-joint was really easy to replace since it was the one at the axle, took all of maybe an hour.....