GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice smokeyandthebandit's Avatar

Default how do you reset the service 4wd message displayed on the dash

This light has been coming on for a while but not very often since 70000kms or so and then when you shut the truck off and on again the message is gone. Yesterday I changed the passenger side axle seal and had to take apart the front left side of the differential to access the seal. took off the electric actuator, pulled the axle tube, took out snap rings removed axle to put in the new seal. After i had buttoned it back up I tried it out and it seemed to work fine but on the drive in today the service 4wd light came on but I didn't think much of it because this has been happening for a while. On my way back home from work it came on again so I shut off the truck, turned it back on and ten min's later the light came back on so on and off the message light came back ,. when I got home I tried the 4wd in auto, 4H, 4L and it is working fine engaging and disengaging the way it should. truck now has 97500kms on it.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I also did not have a diagram to show me how to put it back together Haynes manual is awful no exploded views whatsoever but I think I got it right.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

I also match marked everything on the out side to make sure it went back in the same
    2006 Sierra 1500 nevada crew 4x4 5.3L/4L60/3:73
    2003 Silverado 1500hd crew 4x4 with tow pack 6.0L/4L80/4:10
    81 Z28 5.7L/T350/3.42

Legend

Blog Entries

You may want to run it in to get the codes read, just to be on the safe side. It sounds like it may be more of a problem than just resetting the light. As far as resetting it, not sure. I thought it reset after turning off the truck and letting it sit for a few, but not positive.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I don't have a pic but i marked the actuator too

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

guess I got to bring it in $$$$

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit View Post
    I don't have a pic but i marked the actuator too

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

guess I got to bring it in $$$$
    Maybe...see what others say first, but it may be your best option. Not sure how much it costs, but I hope it is not too much. So sorry for what you are going though, as it looks like you have put a ton of work into it already.

do you think a obd scan tool will tell me the code for this?
    Equus 3130 - Equus CanOBD Code Readers
    seen it on jeg's
    Last edited by smokeyandthebandit; 10-12-2010 at 10:37 PM.

My dad had the same message come up on his 08 2500. Didn't show any major problems for a few months then one day I put it in 4 wheel drive and it wouldn't disengage from 4 wheel drive. Took it to the deal since still under warranty and it was a faulty sensor. seems like those things go out all the time. Truck only has 14,000 miles on it.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

well the message hasn't shown up now for three days now and the 4x4 is still working. I do think that the message is a reminder to change your fluid in the system. I change the fluid myself but don't know how to tell the truck that i did it so I think the message keeps flashing at me.

So I figured out that all I had to do was push the reset button on the cluster and it cleared the message. I haven't had the message since I posted this so all is good.

glad to here it was a simple fix
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

If it is engaging the transfer case properly more than likely the sensor is going bad, the sensor can be replaced separately from encoder/motor. It sounds like it's intermittently losing the signal to tell the position of the transfer case. I would recommend getting it repaired before it fails completely.
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast