GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Yukon XL ac question

I have a 2001 Yukon XL that I have had since new. Currently at 179,000 miles. Recently the ax compressor clutch was making noises like it was trying to engage. Now the compressor does not come on at all. No sound.

What kind of price should I expect to have a shop R/R it and refill the system?

Half ton. 5.3L motor. 4x4.
    Last edited by zrxoa1; 09-27-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well first you will want to verify it is the compressor (a search of the site will get you some troubleshooting tips) and a shop charged me $180 to do a refill...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Thanks. I need to poke around some, but was just curious what others had paid. I am pretty sure it is the compressor though.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well it might just be a clutch which means on certain compressors no need for a refil, just replace the clutch. But good luck and let us know how it turns out.

OK, I found a suggestion to jumper the compressor using the accumilator plug.... I stuck both ends of a paper clip into the plug and my compressor fired right up. So am I just looking at needing to replace the switch on the accumilator/dryer? Also, while the compressor was running, I did not really feel a lot of cold air coming from the vents, but it is very cool out today so it was hard to tell.

Here is the way everything started.... the ac was cold (though not as cold as it used to be....) but every now and then I would hear this sound from under the hood....like the comp clutch was trying to disengage, reengage... this would be accompanied by a loss of cold air. Then one day the comp just stopped coming on, no cold air.

I thought I had a bad clutch, or compressor, but jumping it today proves both are working. Guess I should try a new accum/dryer switch and see what that does?

Then, IF that works but the air is still not as cold as I would like, how do you test the high/low pressure? Is that something I should take it to a garage for?

Thanks for any more help, gotta love these trucks!!!!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Alright you actually most likely have a leak of some kind to loose the pressure, since the compressor went from on, to kicking on and off, to not at all in what seems like a fairly quick time frame (a month?). There are threads about filling your AC system and finding leaks as well (i was involved in a lot of them and there were a lot this summer thanks to the hot temps) so if you read over and want to take it on yourself then go for it. If you feel you dont want to deal with it then go to a shop. Also some of this relys on having a set of hand tools, and mechanical ability (no insult intended there are certain things that every mechanic knows they just cant do)
    and either way keep us posted.

Well, I do all the maintenance on my motorcycles. Even rebuilt a top end myself, but for this I think I wil take it to a pro. Would the leak cause the switch on the accumilator to go bad....or does this even mean the switch is bad? I mean, should I even waste money on a new switch?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Dont waste the money on a new switch since the switch actually did its job as you lost pressure the switch kept the compressor from burning up. I would have a pro pressure test the system and look for leaks etc...

Sounds like good advice. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

I just hope the leak (if there is one) is not from the lines going to the rear ac. A guy I work with had those go bad.... he was priced at over $500 EACH line!!!! That was just for the part....

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well that depends on how bad you need to keep your AC. Because you can switch the lines on the Yukon out for lines from a Silverado/Sierra, and eliminate the rear AC if they are bad and you arent concerned with AC.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by