GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Chevy Silverado Programmer ~ to program or not?

Forgive me if someone has already asked this question, but I bought a used 2004 silverado z71 with a 5.3L. The truck currently has 160k on the clock and runs like a top, no leaks, damage, ect... the previous owner really took care of the machine. Have been batting around the idea of a programmer, specifically the superchips flashpaq, and was wondering if it is worth the money. I want more oomph, but I don't want to make it a dragster either.

I am used to the power of my old 5.7 where if I wanted too I could break the rear end loose and leave rubber on the road, however this truck will not do that. This is the first 4x4 I've owned and I do know the truck has a locking rearend, but is seen them do it too, the truck has a k&n filter and dual flowmaster exhaust but otherwise stock. Thank you all for your time

I am in the same situation with my 2005 Z71. There are a few threads on here about them and it seems the most popular is the hypertech. My suggestion is to just search the site for one of the threads about this topic and I hope that you can find what you are looking for....Welcome to the best GM truck site around
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    8in ProComp Suspension Lift, 4in Shackle Flip Kit, 3in Performance Products Body Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal wheels, 35x12.50x17 ProComp Xterrains, K&N cold air intake kit, Custom 3in exhaust, GoRhrino Black spring loaded steps, Truxedo Bed Cover, "SS" style Instrument Cluster with blue pointers and Trans Temp Gauge, JVC indash touchscreen DVD player, 2 MTX 10in subwoofers, Sony Xplode 1000watt amp, Radio Shack CB with dual black whips, Optima yellow top battery

the diablosport predator would be a better choice for both of you...

better tunes, more adjustability, full tranny support, better data logging, etc etc...
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    the diablosport predator would be a better choice for both of you...

better tunes, more adjustability, full tranny support, better data logging, etc etc...
    I agree,the predator gives you lots of options.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Smile Chevy trucks and Edge programmer, Great match

I see the diablosport predator is a hand held flash tuner. I am not familiar with this programmer but I am sure it is good. Myself, I wanted something a little more permanent and usable. For a little more money I chose the Edge GS gas programmer and am very happy with the results. In fact I had to set mine on level 2 because 4 was a little to much but if I raced it would be easy and quick to change to 4. It has 4 power levels, mounts to the dash, shows a lot of vehicle info like Speed, temps, spark timing, oil life remaining, instant gas mileage and on and on. I too have the K & N air filter and Magnaflow exhaust but this Edge programmer rocks. Check em out.

x3 on the diablo sport predator.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Vortec V8
    2" Body Lift
    3" Suspension Lift
    Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks
    Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer
    35" Tires with 20" American Racing Rims
    Velocity Cold Air Intake
    Billet Throttle Body Spacer
    BBK Performance Headers
    MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
    DiabloSport Predator- Soon to be tuned by Diablew

"Soon to be leveling-kit"

I have been doing some research and the Predator is the way that i am going to go. trying to find the best price that i can get. the dealers want $369 and direct from diablo is $309, wich seems backwards to me, but i have seen them as low as $287. unless i can find someone that is parting with theirs like they bought a newer truck. kinda dealing with a limited budget at the moment.
    Don't Run Your Fingers Over My Truck And I Promise Not To Run My Truck Over Your Fingers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmann View Post
    I have been doing some research and the Predator is the way that i am going to go. trying to find the best price that i can get. the dealers want $369 and direct from diablo is $309, wich seems backwards to me, but i have seen them as low as $287. unless i can find someone that is parting with theirs like they bought a newer truck. kinda dealing with a limited budget at the moment.
    marylandspeed.com has 'em for $279, with free shipping... and remember to also buy the pc interface kit for it, which is the usb/serial cable and power adapter, so that you can connect it to your Windows PC in order to download recorded data logs, and import/export tune files for if/when you want to get a custom tune done for it... the interface kit is another $30 I believe...

thx o6monte i ordered it there this monring along with the pc kit, all together it ran me the same amount as the dealer wanted for the predator alone! thanks again

Dont go with hypertech chip i had it on my 96 silverado and it cooked the tranny it worked great but if u are going to run it all the time DONT DO IT you will regret when you have to buy a $1300 4l60e
    Justin- Austin TX
    1996 Silverado Short Wide 5.7 Vortec- LT4 Cam, K&N, Hypertech Chip, 3.73 Gears, Cherrybomb True duals, bore .20, 3500Stall, Air Raid Spacer, Traction Bars(Blown Transmission) :frown:
    2007 Silverado Short Wide 5.3 Vortec (stock)

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by