GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation Help with differential cover

Well, I'm ready to upgrade the rear differential cover. I'd like to get one that has a drain plug to make gear oil changes easier. I'm leaning towards steel instead of aluminum, since I do get off road. I checked out the JC Whitney site and all they show is the basic chrome. Anybody use anything different?
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Well, I'm ready to upgrade the rear differential cover. I'd like to get one that has a drain plug to make gear oil changes easier. I'm leaning towards steel instead of aluminum, since I do get off road. I checked out the JC Whitney site and all they show is the basic chrome. Anybody use anything different?

I'm not a huge chrome fan but look up this little number seems to be interesting and tougher for what you need. Pretty is not always better...

TA Performance rear end girdle. It's stronger than the AAM cover that was part of my SLP Auburn upfit option and also provides supports for the main caps. It comes with allen head bolts, washers and a nice gasket that looks the same as the Chevy parts (GM 26016661). The one advantage the AMM cover had is that it has a cooling channel built in; oil flung from the ring gear enters it and exits on the carrier bearings.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

that's one bad-ass diff cover Cableguy! I'm just not sure that I want to spend $160US to buy the blasted thing. I guess that'll be at the bottom of my list of stuff to get
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Ya it is kinda expensive isn't it. Didn't look to big to me (Although I can't see it from side profile). I was looking for something more indestructable for unplugged. In case he got hung up in rocks. It looks cool too

BTW I've had the chrome ones and there junk for off-roading.
    Chevy Truck Parts

Chrome looks nice, but it doesn't seal well. If you go with the chrome, see if you can remove the chrome from the mating surface.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Wow, those are very cool covers. But there is no way I can justify dropping $150 on a new cover. If I ever get around to building a high horsepower rig, these would be an option, but I guess I'll poke around for a deal on a steel cover with a drain plug and maybe a temp sender port.

The Mag-Hytec worked well for me. O-ring seal has no leaks, extra capacity for more Mobil 1, dipstick to check fluid level, temp. sending port, and drain plug. I use one on the transmission also.

Looks great and keeps things cool, unlike chrome which retains heat.
    1998 K-2500 Suburban
    454 w/ 4L80E
    Suspension Maxx T-Bar Keys Gibson Cat Back K&N Intake
    Mag-Hytec trans pan and diff cover Hypertech Programmer
    MSD 6A, Blaster Coil & Wires Roadmaster Active Suspension
    Hummer H2 wheels w/ BFG All Terrrain T/A KO