GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Mirror replacement

New here and need a little help. My wife's 2002 Avalanche has the heated and auto dimming mirror on the driver's side.Pretty sure it has the puddle lamps. It has gotten to where things look double in it especially head lights so I need to replace it. I have found places that have replacements that have a part number for power, heated or power heated DL8 option. What is the DL8 option? I really don't need the auto dimming if that os what it is.

Call Chevy part and they wanted $550 which seemed crazy to me. Heck the motors and all work just a replacement glass part would fix it.

That could be a tough mirror to find, since there weren't a lot of GM truck before 2003 to have the auto-dimming driver mirror. I would suggest either trying to find one on eBay or at a junkyard. You could also look for a mirror from a 2002 Escalade or 2001-2002 GMC Denali, as they should also have the auto-dimming function.

If you don't care about the auto-dimming function, you can just go on eBay or to the junkyard and get a mirror glass from any GM truck from 1999-2007(classic) that has heated mirrors, and it will swap in and connect.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

We don't care about the auto dimming, in fact I personally hate them and turn it off in the rear view on my truck. SO a plain power +/- heated is OK.

Just some of the mail order places have the DL8 option as a choice for replacements.

If you don't want the auto-dimming, then the DL8 with heat would be the way to go. If you want to possibly upgrade, also check muth mirrors, as you can get replacement glass from them with heat and turn signals built in (both sides for about $250 total).

That's just their RPO code for the option. DL3 is the power/heat/power fold/turn signal/puddle lamps, etc. DL8 is just heat?/power. The mirror code doesn't really matter anyway, since you are not replacing the whole mirror. You just need to find any mirror (or just the glass) from a 1999-2007 classic truck (except the DL3 with the turn signal unless you want to replace both) that has the heater element and switch it in. The only thing I just though of is that since all 2002 avalanches had puddle lights, unless you want to replace both mirrors entirely, you will have to either get a mirror with the heated glass and switch the glass out or get the same mirror you already have.