GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Sealed fiberboard sub box?

Hey guys! It's been a while since I was on here, it's been a busy summer. I'm still driving an '01 S10, and I still have the 12" Xplod subwoofer in the cab. My question is if it's possible or wise to build a sealed box using fiberboard. I have quite a bit left after I built the potted box, easily enough to meet the space requirements for my sub. The reason I want to build a sealed box is because I'm told it will provide tighter, cleaner bass. Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys

'01 Chevrolet S10
    -custom air intake
    -painted dash
    -footwell lights
    -Strange Performance stickers
    -exhaust coming soon
    -Xplod Head Unit with iPod connectivity
    -12" Sony Xplod woofer
    -Majestic 400 watt amp, bridged

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
    :party:

Blog Entries

that's what most of them are made of. I dont see any reason that wouldnt work. RTV sealant should work nicely in the seams.
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

Master Mechanic TritonBoulder47's Avatar

I've always used MDF when I build my enclosures...

Tim a.k.a. Da' Boulder

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 - Custom Emergency Response POV

Firefighter, Fire Policeman, Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Installer

Tint, 20's, Bull Bar, Intake, Exhaust, Billet Grill, Stereo, Custom Console, Emergency Equipment, and the list goes on...

Thanks guys, I guess I'm uninformed and a newb to this but all of the sealed boxes I've seen were made of fiberglass. The rtv is an excellent suggestion, but is it a good idea to use that to seal the sub itself or should a get a ring specifically designed for such a purpose?

I've always used MDF as well. I like my sealed box because just like you said it is a tighter cleaner bass. My interior of my truck doesn't rattle as much and yet I still hit a 135.6 db this weekend

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Nice! That's exactly what I wanted to hear, as the top notch high quality plastic in my truck doesn't sound too good.

Haha I feel ya there man! I fitted my box so it fits snug in my back plastic then both my seats slide back into it. Keeps it solid ha

Sounds slick to me, now Im really wanting to get to work on a new and better box. It's been since March that I've done any woodwork, since I injured my finger, but there is nothing like a project to excite oneself into getting busy.

That would be sweet! When i first got into audio I was like hey a box is just a box but its amazing how much a difference it makes! A sub is only as good as its box. Here's the most recent one I made. Amp isn't mounted on it in the pic though

That's impressive, I'm assuming it's a sealed box? And are those 10's?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by