GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Ugrade to Diesel? Possibly?

So I'll lay the fact pattern for everyone:

Currently I drive an 04 Silverado 5.3 V8 4x4, love the truck. Bought it from my dad to start a small odd-job business, plow, mow lawns, dump runs, the whole bit. Made some decent cash so far. After owning for 2years now, my avg MPG is 15.1 after numerous upgrades/improvements. I'm going to be commuting to a new college in the spring, and it'll be a 65 mile round trip day, 50/50 back roads and highways. So I figure my options are to a) get a small commuter car to go to school with and keep my truck for work, or get a truck with that will give me better MPG. I've scoured the forums here, and from my own friends with diesels, see that you can get anywhere between 15-22ish mpg, which would be awesome. I'd also like to upgrade the lawn care with something like a kubota or whatnot. So basically, I'd like to upgrade to a duramax, but just wondering what others with experience can tell me. Thanks everyone.

p.s.- i also put this thread in the "Diesel Tech" forum as well.

thanks again.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

If your current truck does what you need it to do-plow odd jobs- I would steer clear of the diesels.
    Diesels are great for heavy work-towing- but you are pleased with what your truck does now(except for the MPG), so you don't need the Duramax.

The downside to the diesels is
    1)You have to pay for a new, or new used, truck.Your current truck is almost paid for, right?
    2)Diesels fuel costs 10% more than gasoline, so any potential mpg improvement is lost to the extra fuel cost.
    3)Diesels are EXPENSIVE to repair-the fuel injectors, pumps everything cost big $$- much more than typical SBC stuff. The diesel motors usually don't break, but the injection stuff does. Besides, how often to gasoline 5.3 and 5.7 actually break-rarely?
    4)Diesels are more expensive to maintain-14 qts of oil etc-and they are really sensitive to "dirty oil" and to a bit of water in the fuel.

I would stick with what you have-
    I do know how much fun it is to get a different truck/car-the fun aspect is worth something!
    Charlie

PS- Yes a 375 hp 700 lb ft diesel would be fun!
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 10-24-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yeah!! What Charlie said... Right down the line, point for point, those are the reasons for not getting a diesel, unless you have a lot of extra money to spend. If you don't like the mileage your trucks getting, then opting for the small economy driver for your 65 mile commute sounds good.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol