GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

I have spent most of my life on the beaches of NC and have spent many gallons of gas driving in the sand. Yes, with the KO's you do have to air down the tires and that is just a waste of time for me. With other tires including the DuraTrac's that is not necessary. My buddies with the same DuraTrac's and even the Michlen LTX's do not need to air down. Not trying to pick on you for liking the KO's cause we all have our opions, but I and others have found them to fall short.

________2013 4C Rated__________

FlyFisher hit on the key point. For any offroad tire, to get good traction offroad you have to air down. Running full pressure offroad doesn't allow the tires to mold and conform to the surface, so they can't get a good grip. I'm running a set of BFGoodrich TA/KO All-Terrains on my Bronco and they work well.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    FlyFisher hit on the key point. For any offroad tire, to get good traction offroad you have to air down. Running full pressure offroad doesn't allow the tires to mold and conform to the surface, so they can't get a good grip. I'm running a set of BFGoodrich TA/KO All-Terrains on my Bronco and they work well.
    well said - I started pre-running back in the 80's on BFG's - and as a teenager, learned from the pros on how to drive in the dirt. Was able to run them hard in the silk, as well as on the road. 2 other trucks I've owned prior to my new '99 Sub have had them - and I plan on buying another set later this month. So I suppose I've had a 25 year plus record with them..Overall all - the best AT tire out in the market, IMHO..

I hear ya. People that get stuck with BFG T/A KO's will get stuck with any tire. The vast majority of people with 4wd vehicles have little to no understanding of how to drive off road(in snow and ice, in sand, in mud), and how NOT to get their vehicle stuck. Or they drive to fast in winter conditions of snow and ice,,, lose control of the vehicle and then blame the tires.

Up here at tahoe in the winter on 1-80 there are wreaks daily where vehicles end up in the ditch or worse. Folks from the bay area come up to ski with SUV's and 4wd vehicles and drive on the snow going 50-60+ like it is dry pavement. They speed going way too fast and spin out and crash. It doesn't matter what tire you have if you are heavy on the throttle in snow and ice you are going to break traction.

There are beaches like Pismo and daytona you can drive a 2wd car on. NJ beaches with sugar sand you won't get 10 feet without getting stuck if you don't air down,,,, no matter what tire you have. Airing down creates a larger foot print for the tire to float the vehicle on top of the sand without it digging in.

I have run these tires for a few decades now and never had a problem. I have never been stuck. Never spun out or slid on ice or hard pack. Why? because I adjust my driving for the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by chenaah View Post
    well said - I started pre-running back in the 80's on BFG's - and as a teenager, learned from the pros on how to drive in the dirt. Was able to run them hard in the silk, as well as on the road. 2 other trucks I've owned prior to my new '99 Sub have had them - and I plan on buying another set later this month. So I suppose I've had a 25 year plus record with them..Overall all - the best AT tire out in the market, IMHO..

ive been riding atvs and drivin trucks offroad through snow, mud, wet, dry sand for years now. Im pretty experienced on how to handle offroad but these BFGs i donno, ive just seen other AT tires that do much better. and i dont take my time to air down the tires when going offroad, and i dont ride on the beach or anything so i dont have to worry about sand. but what im saying is that i have a hard time going through much without my 4wd. dont tell me the chevy is the reason they arent doing well lol. the people with the KO's, tell me what you guys are doing for them to do so well, cuz its embarrassing watching fords going through everything in 2wd with AT tires as well

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

how much air do you guys put in your tires? just wondering. this might be the difference

What is the manufacturers recommended tire pressure for your vehicle?
    What tire pressure are you running your tires at?

recommended is 35, im running 40psi right now. maybe thats why

how much do you guys air down in snowy conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1500 View Post
    how much do you guys air down in snowy conditions?
    Not sure, but would like to know this also.

If 35 is recomended, i would go 30-32..and see what they do then !!!!

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses: