GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Air Pressure - 35psi in 1999 Suburban

So after putting some new All Terrains on the 'burb I notice they squat a little bit...looks like they are low on air. According to the tag on the truck it calls for 35psi...does everybody run the manufacturer recommended tire pressure? I know in most cases it can cause bad tire wear if you run lower or higher.....maybe its just me but it just doesn't look right with the tire bulging a little bit...and I am right at 35psi cold.
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

Yes run what is on the door for tire pressure. My 35" BFG A/T's look like there low on air when there properly inflated.

Ok just wanted to make sure nothing funny was going on here.

Whatever the maximum pressure is listed on the sidewall of the tire, I run. For the trucks, that makes it something around 50psi and my car tires run at 44psi. I run the max pressure to try to keep even tire wear and reduce the "squat" of the tire sidewalls. However, as a result, the tire rides a little rougher.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

well see because of centrifugal force, the tire is only going to squat when it is sitting...am I right?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well to a certain extent since there is still a load on the tires going down the road.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Also, make sure you've got the right load rating on those tires. A suburban takes a stronger tire than a pickup truck. After the size listing on the tire, there should be three numbers and a letter. What do they say?

Its raining...I dont want to go outside and look at my tires!! and football is on...so I looked at my tire receipt....Hankook Dyanpro ATM RF 10 245/75-R16 109T

I run my tires at what the max says on the tire sidewalls,little bit of a firmer ride but hey its supposed to be,its a truck.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Ah yes, the tire pressure debate.

Ok, the door sticker is a mfg recommendation based on expected use, loads, "normal" weather conditions and the tires that came on the truck. When you change to aftermarket tires, the sticker is just a guideline (it is anyways).

Mine says like 35 front and 40 rear. I run 40-45 all around. I have stock sized Yokohama AT/S on my Burb. I don't tow, but I carry my five kids around with all their crap, groceries and such. I also drive more aggressively than Burbs were designed for. I back the pressure to 40 in the summer because of the heat (100+) and up to 45 if I feel like it (towing, hauling, cold weather). Sidewall bulges can be misleading, but the old chalk trick never hurts if you are in doubt. (make a chalk line across your tread and drive around the block. If the chalk is worn evenly across the tread you are in the ballpark. If the middle is worn only, you are over-inflated, if the edges are more worn, you are under-inflated.)

Now on my old Jeep, I had larger tires (31x11.50's) than stock. The Jeep CJ7's sticker said 35 psi. I'll tell ya this: 35 psi in a 31 inch tire on a lightweight Jeep is no bueno!!! My tires didn't even flatten to the road, it just sat there on balloons! I wound up at 24 psi front and 22 psi rear.

In short: use the door sticker as a guide, adjust to what you need for your tires/load/driving conditions and do not exceed the tire pressure and load ratings. remember, a cold tire will read 3 to 5 psi less than when it's hot. Under-inflated tires suck fuel, get over heated and fail. So do over loaded tires. Off-road, it's a whole different world.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by