GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Suspension Issues 2500HD

Have 2003 Chevy 2500HD 2wd Crew Cab. 6.0 gas engine. My Goal is to improve the ride of the truck. It is very stiff. Would also like to lower the truck a little, possibly 2-4 inches, especially the rear because it is difficult to load and level for pulling my camper. Towing my camper about 5-6 times a year is the heaviest hauling I do. Camper is not that heavy. Otherwise a daily driver. I have sought advice from 3 alignment shops in my area along with looking at coments on the web. I have purchased lowering shackles for the rear but have not installed them yet. My plan is to purchase tires with lower load range than e which the truck currently has. Have also lowererd the air pressure in current tires which has helped some. Experimented with lower load range tires which does help a little. Alignment shops say that adjusting the bolts on the torsion bars won't help me soften the ride much. All three shops are not familiar with lowering keys (which are rare since most people are looking to raise the truck). However, I have found a couple places on line that sell adjustable keys for lowering. One alignment shop said to try taking out the overload spring on the rear. Noted this should improve ride of the whole truck without sacrificing performace since I do not pull really heavy loads. Attempted to do this but could not get out the bolt that holds the spring stack together on top of axle. Would this really help? Can have a local shop remove them for me. I don't think lowering and leveling the truck will be a problem, but should I purchase these lowering keys? All three alignment shops advised against them. One shop noted that replacing shocks might help. Primary goal wold be to improve the ride. I know that older GM 3/4 trucks with coil springs seem to ride better and that's what I am looking for. Thanks to anyone who has hands on advice in this area.

To the Site........Some insight, as you have posted up Under the Member's Introduction Section of the Forum........This Section is where you let the other members know a little bit about you and some specs about your Truck.

Your Suspension question will receive more.....Reply's....Advice....and Help under the Tech Section of the Forum.....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

easiest way for a better ride is a half ton. other than that some adjustable shocks might help it so you can set them softer. Take out a leaf in the rear. for lowering the rear, the shackles will be the best way (dont remember the size of the block) and removing a leaf will lower it some too.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Default Ride Improvement 2500HD

Have 2003 Chevy 2500HD 2wd Crew Cab. 6.0 gas engine. My Goal is to improve the ride of the truck. It is very stiff. Would also like to lower the truck a little, possibly 2-4 inches, especially the rear because it is difficult to load and level for pulling my camper. Towing my camper about 5-6 times a year is the heaviest hauling I do. Camper is not that heavy. Otherwise a daily driver. I have sought advice from 3 alignment shops in my area along with looking at coments on the web. I have purchased lowering shackles for the rear but have not installed them yet. My plan is to purchase tires with lower load range than e which the truck currently has. Have also lowererd the air pressure in current tires which has helped some. Experimented with lower load range tires which does help a little. Alignment shops say that adjusting the bolts on the torsion bars won't help me soften the ride much. All three shops are not familiar with lowering keys (which are rare since most people are looking to raise the truck). However, I have found a couple places on line that sell adjustable keys for lowering. One alignment shop said to try taking out the overload spring on the rear. Noted this should improve ride of the whole truck without sacrificing performace since I do not pull really heavy loads. Attempted to do this but could not get out the bolt that holds the spring stack together on top of axle. Would this really help? Can have a local shop remove them for me. I don't think lowering and leveling the truck will be a problem, but should I purchase these lowering keys? All three alignment shops advised against them. One shop noted that replacing shocks might help. Primary goal wold be to improve the ride. I know that older GM 3/4 trucks with coil springs seem to ride better and that's what I am looking for. Thanks for any advice.

Considered the half ton which is what I have always had up till purchasing a camper but was fearful the transmission wouldn't hold up. My last truck was a 95 1/2 ton. Towing was murder on the trans. This truck pulls the camper great with room for whole family.

Welcome to the site!
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome to the site!
    Eddie , 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (old style)

Welcome to the G M T C !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Legend
    Blog Entries

********threads Merged***************
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"