GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas or diesel?

Default gas or diesel?

whats your opinion on which is better and which one you'd rather have, and why you support your opinion...

I choose diesel... partly cause I've never had one... partly cause it's something new to work on and learn about, how ever I think that they are better because they last longer, more power, and they're getting cleaner and cleaner each year, the only thing that worries me is, just because the motor may go a lot longer then regular gasoline ones.. you still have all of your maintainance every x-amount of miles...
    1998 Sierra Ext. Cab Z71
    Projector headlights
    Flow Master 40 Series Delta Flow w/ Dual Exhaust
    2" suspenion lift
    camo vynil trim
    camo Z71 decals
    soon to be new tires and rims, and possibly wheel spacers and
    throttle body spacer
    From Oklahoma, Currently in VA.... VA sucks by the way....

Legend
    Blog Entries

I guess I'd choose gas engines because that's what I've had most and know more about. I've owned a couple VW diesels and no complaints, I just am more comfortable with gas engines.

oh and I don't like diesels because of the NOISE!!!

Rattley... Rattley... Knock F**kin Knock
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Hey countryboy73703 i would go with a diesel for pretty much the reasons you gave.I've never had one and i like the fact that their engines do last longer than a gas engine.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would go with a diesel, and not just in my truck. I really wish that GM, and Ford would get on board like VW for their car based Diesel motors. Yes they used to be noisy but most of the new Duramaxs and Powerstrokes that i have heard make the same amount of noise than a Gas, and make 2X the power. I would mainly want a Diesel in a car for commuting but have no desire to own a VW... give me a Fusion, or a Malibu with a 4cyl turbo Diesel and i would be all over it. Yes i am talking about ford, but that is because i have just as much loyalty to ford as Gm...
    So my main reason for picking a diesel is due to the gains in fuel efficency that can be had, as well as the power that is available.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    I would go with a diesel, and not just in my truck. I really wish that GM, and Ford would get on board like VW for their car based Diesel motors. Yes they used to be noisy but most of the new Duramaxs and Powerstrokes that i have heard make the same amount of noise than a Gas, and make 2X the power. I would mainly want a Diesel in a car for commuting but have no desire to own a VW... give me a Fusion, or a Malibu with a 4cyl turbo Diesel and i would be all over it. Yes i am talking about ford, but that is because i have just as much loyalty to ford as Gm...
    So my main reason for picking a diesel is due to the gains in fuel efficency that can be had, as well as the power that is available.
    I agree murdog, keep in the opinions coming guys!
    1998 Sierra Ext. Cab Z71
    Projector headlights
    Flow Master 40 Series Delta Flow w/ Dual Exhaust
    2" suspenion lift
    camo vynil trim
    camo Z71 decals
    soon to be new tires and rims, and possibly wheel spacers and
    throttle body spacer
    From Oklahoma, Currently in VA.... VA sucks by the way....

Jr. Engineer

Well for me it depends on context. If we're talking money = no object, then Diesel is the way to go. More power, doesn't mind idling and as previously mentioned they're getting cleaner and cleaner every year. Not to mention at 100,000 km the engines are just STARTING to be broken in. Might as well have th extra power if you can, you never no when you're going to need it.

However, if we're talking real world I have to go with gas. Diesel trucks are more expensive to maintain when parts break. I know jack about diesel engines and so DIY work is basically out for me as I don't have the time to start from scratch learning how it all works etc. So in that respect I'd have to go with gas just do to $$$ and my personal knowledge base.

But like I said, if we're just talking straight up Gas vs. Diesel: Diesel all the way!
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Diesel for sure! I've never had one but every time I ride in one I want one more and more. More power, better fuel economy, better towing, lasts longer, and black smoke

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    Diesel for sure! I've never had one but every time I ride in one I want one more and more. More power, better fuel economy, better towing, lasts longer, and black smoke
    I like the black smoke sometimes but also there are alot of times when im happy to not see it. Like when i operated an M88 (tank recovery/tow vehicle) it was fun to watch the massive clouds of black smoke and hearing those twin turbos spooled with that massive V-12 singing, but when i stomp on my buddies 06 Powerstroke its nice to have it pull like a freight train and not see the smoke. Also for a car based its nice for a clean exhaust an quiet motor for commuting..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I do definitely agree with you there! You can't be ticking people behind you off all the time haha. But I do like how clean the cars run. When I see black smoke I just picture my fuel tank emptying ha

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

I just bought my first diesel back in August and am loving it. I wanted a diesel for all of the reasons already mentioned: Durability, power, fuel economy.

My truck has 155K miles on it. I had to replace 4 fuel injectors from the very beginning and that was a very high unexpected expense, but now that everything is fixed, truck is running good and I'm loving it. I still have a lot to learn before I feel comfortable enough for any big DIY projects, but I'm learning as much as I can.

Even though I've only had this truck for a little over 2 months now, I'm sold on diesels and do not plan on going back to a gasser.

I have to say, though, that I really enjoyed my 04 Z71 5.3L and never had any problems with it. I only sold it because I found the Duramax for a good deal.

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4, Crew Cab
    6.6L Duramax Diesel (LB7) with an automatic Allison 1000 5 speed.
    Spray-in bed liner, S&B Air Filter, Homemade CAI ram scoop, ball hitch for Gooseneck
    Black toolbox, metallic-black bowtie, 5.5" NV-200C Bumper Off-Road lights behind a blacked-out grille
    285/75R16E BFG A/Ts
    Future Upgrades: Exhaust, CAI, programmer, intercooler, torque converter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast