GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default For those of you that like a good shine on your trucks...

What wax and other wash/wax/shine products do you use on your vehicle?

My truck is black and I've found that the TURTLE WAX BLACK BOX has been the way to go! If not this product then definitely Maguire's. I also from time to time will use a clay bar and Zaino Dual Action paint cleaner and swirl remover! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TurtleWax_BlackBox.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	21805 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z-PC.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	21806

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille

I'm a big fan of the lucas oil speed wax! Of course thats just for quick detailing. For real waxing I use turtle wax as well. I always wanted to try the clay bar but heard it was a job. Is it worth it?

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Turtle wax,Turtle wax bug & tar remover,and Rain X car wash.
    Last edited by Bigbomber; 10-22-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Sr. Engineer

I really like the results with all the zaino products. My only gripe is it takes way too long to do! I like my truck, but I've got other stuff to do besides spend an entire day waxing my truck every couple of months. I see they've got some new products out now that might go faster, but a couple years ago when I did it I think it was washing and then 3 steps of different polishes which each took an hour or two to fully dry. This summer I picked up some Turtle wax ice liquid polish and I like that, it doesn't get white junk all over the trim and I can wash, dry, wax, and buff my truck in about an hour and a half so it doesn't take all day to do. The only downside is it only lasts maybe 2 months before it needs to be re-applied.

I tried the Turtle Wax black box also and love it. It is the best I have found so far for a black truck, but it does take quite a while to do. If I am going to wash, clay bar and do the black box I have to set the entire day aside.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the lucas oil speed wax! Of course thats just for quick detailing. For real waxing I use turtle wax as well. I always wanted to try the clay bar but heard it was a job. Is it worth it?
    Clay bar is totally worth it. It's one thing to stand there with a sponge and wash your truck to clean it... it gets out all the bigger stuff... but when you clay bar it and do it right you literally feel the clay bar picking up all the stuff you THOUGHT you got with the sponge. and your coat of wax that you apply after looks better and lasts much longer. The important thing to remember is that it does take some time and patience. You don't want to speed your way through it. if you do (as I've learned the hard way) you could potentially leave streaks of clay bar on your truck (comes off easy with the clay bar) giving you more work to do.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by canislupis69 View Post
    I tried the Turtle Wax black box also and love it. It is the best I have found so far for a black truck, but it does take quite a while to do. If I am going to wash, clay bar and do the black box I have to set the entire day aside.
    agreed but when you're done... its kind of worth it... unless it rains the next day lol

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
    I really like the results with all the zaino products. My only gripe is it takes way too long to do! I like my truck, but I've got other stuff to do besides spend an entire day waxing my truck every couple of months. I see they've got some new products out now that might go faster, but a couple years ago when I did it I think it was washing and then 3 steps of different polishes which each took an hour or two to fully dry. This summer I picked up some Turtle wax ice liquid polish and I like that, it doesn't get white junk all over the trim and I can wash, dry, wax, and buff my truck in about an hour and a half so it doesn't take all day to do. The only downside is it only lasts maybe 2 months before it needs to be re-applied.
    I've never tried the full line of Zaino. Just the dual action polish swirl remover. I used this stuff on my 1996 dodge ram and after that and waxing it really became the cleanest dodge ram of that body style in town. love this stuff

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille

I think the clay bar is well worth while, even though it is time consuming. I do a full detail with a meguiars clay bar, and the meguiars deep crystal system (cleaner, polish, carnauba wax) once or twice a year. Between detailings, i follow up every wash with meguiars ultimate quik detailer to keep up the shine.

Once I run out of the deep crystal stuff, I think I'm going to switch to a synthetic wax. The deep crystal system is so waxy that it gums up detailing cloths more than any other detailing products I've ever used.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

I use the Klasse twins, Klasse All in One and Klasse Sealant Glaze as my sealants. They are both excellent and I highly recommend them. Hard as nails long lasting protection.
    I also purchased Finish Kare-FK1-1000P but I haven't tried it yet.
    I use Griot's Shampoo and meguire's Gold Car wash. I will be going to the meguire's since it is so good and inexpensive.
    Groit's wheel cleaner the green stuff on my chrome wheels.
    I use Poor Boy's Wheel Sealant on my chrome American Racing Assaults and chrome trim bumpers.
    303 Aerospace Protectant on the outside plastic trim and the plastic interior and dash.
    Meguier's Clay Kit
    Stoner's Invisible Glass cleaner and their Reach and Clean glass cleaning tool.

I think that's all the products I use. LOL I just bought a new 2010 GMC Savana AWD and dropped $300+ on products.
    Also some great waffle weave towels I got online and some good micro fiber towels i got from Walmart.

I have to get out and wash and wax/sealant and get my vehicle ready and protected for winter,,,,before it gets to cold,,,,maybe tomorrow.

I highly recommend all the above products except the griot's shampoo and the griot's wheel cleaner. They are both excellent products and work great but they are just too expensive and the meg's gold class car shampoo is excellent and you can get a big fat jug at wall world for $5. The griot's wheel cleaner works great but I will try a Meguiar's or Mother's next as i think I can find a better value, better bang for my buck over the counter.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 10-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Zaino is probably the standard all others should be compared too. That stuff rocks. But you best have a lot of time to dedicate to it. I used to be a big time waxer. Have a Z06 that was just beautimous! Now it is a track - road race car and looks ugly... When I was going wax crazy I couldn't resist using Zaino. It would take a chunk of Saturday and Sunday to do a complete job inside and out. Man did that thing shine!!! Zaino has about the highest opacity, ergo, shine you can get. It does last quite a while since it is a polymer. Waxing is nice, but terribly old school, and wears off too quick.

If you haven't done a clay bar on your truck and really want a deep shine and clean. You need to start with the clay bar and get all the crap out of the paint. Then build up layers of polish and sealer. How many layers is up to you. A good setup should last 2-3 months. So you trade off a big work effort for a long time before the next go around. Clay bar once every year or two.

I haven't tried the latest Zaino that is supposedly putting several steps into one. Those guys make a fine product and it works. You need very little of it. The thinner you spread it the better. So it does last. Even going waxer crazy on the Vette the kit lasted over a year. I also did some prep and clean up on some friends cars with the same kit.

I'm curious about some of these newer ones. I've heard mixed opinions on some of the Turtle Wax products. Meguiars is good for all around use and easy to find.
    2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. Tow Mule.
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06, 5.7L, Slightly Modded. Tow Payload.
    2005 Craftsman Riding Mower, 17hp, light mods.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I used the orange plain jane bottle of Once a year polish, and my soft buffing pad, since my hands dont really work well enough to polish like i would like, so i use the buffing pad (not an orbital buffer mind you) and put the wax on and work it in, and it lasts about 3 months doing it like that, and usually i will do a good detail before the snow falls here and it will last all the way thru the winter. Thanks to the rain, and crap on the roads up here this is actually the cheapest and quickest way to keep my truck looking great, and i have heard about the clay bar and seen its results, but as mentioned i dont have the hands for it anymore. And using the buffer gets rid of the scapes and scratches that i pick up from taking my truck all over the place.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"