GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default got into a serious accident

well, Karma is an angry bitch.

i got into a serious accident on Thursday. i was in my Mitsubishi, which is only a couple months old, and i was driving home. i was waiting in line at the 4 way stop, which is a seriously dangerous intersection. i was on the one side that has a speed limit of 50 kph, because it is a school zone. the crossing traffic slows down from 80 kph. i eventually got to the front of the line. i was turning left, into the the 80 kph zone. i glanced right, and saw a pretty nice Range Rover coming to a stop. then i glanced left and saw a dark blue Pontiac Vibe that seemed like it was slowing down. so i decided to proceed. the next thing i knew the dark blue Vibe was past the stop sign, still cruising at 80 kph. i made it about 3 feet away from the stop sign and just began to look left at the 1.5 ton hatchback bellowing towards me when the woman in the Vibe slammed into the side of my car. i went flying, feeling the car go onto two wheels. then i felt the burning of the chemicals from the side airbags, then some stinging from the glass. i blacked out for a second, and the car came down hard on all four wheels. then it was silent.

it was horribly scary, and after about 10 seconds i gained my composure, but my door wouldn't open. within 2 minutes there were TONS of people surrounding me. i managed to climb to the passenger side and opened the door to freedom. rescue was already there, and the first thing i saw was steam pouring out of the blue car. there was radiator fluid everywhere. then i saw the horrible mess of what used to be a perfectly fine brand new Mitsubishi Lancer. i managed to snap some pictures of my car, and some pictures of the Vibe will come later, as they are on my other computer.

I am doing OK, i was taken to the hospital and got checked, and i am extremely sore, i got some bruises and tissue damage from the seatbelt. i am glad i came out the way i did, because if i was in any other car i could've been much more injured. as for the woman in the Vibe, she was texting and blew right through the 4 way stop, and paid the price with injuries similar to mine. court date is in December, so i get to spend some quality time with my truck until then. the Mitsubishi is totaled, they appraised it at $15,000, which is too low for a months old car with under 35,000 kms on it. the funny thing is my new Iphone went through the window and ended up 200 feet down the road, i dusted it off and snapped some pictures.
    Attachment 21830

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 **SOLD**
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost crew cab **SOLD**
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L crew cab

Lancer: 0 Iphone: 1!!! I'm very sorry to hear about your accident and VERY glad to hear that you've managed to walk away with minor bumps and bruise .I've seen many accidents over the past five years, being a volunteer firefighter. Many of them have had much worse outcomes after much less damage! Stay safe out there and get well soon!

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille

Wow glad you were able to walk away. I have had that had happen year ago and it sticks with you.
    Steve
    Hi my Name is Steve I have a 2004 Silverado Z71 Crew cab, silver berch in color and Live in Virginia Beach Va. I have installed JBA Stainless Steel Shorty Headers with Flowmaster 40, K&N 77 air intake, Taylor 409 Wires , Diablosport Predator Programer, Weston Bull Bar, Carage Works Grill, ReadyLift Leveling kit, Pioneer Navigation system, Viper two way Alarm with remote start, Rino hitch step, Factor 20 inch wheels with Nitto Graplers and that's it for now.
    :cool: Steve

Hate to see that happen, but glad to see your ok.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Glad you made it out alright, and sorry to hear that they are trying to screw you with the cost of the car, as to the court date what do you have to wait for since she was clearly the one who blew the stop sign etc??? keep us posted, and once again glad you made it thru!!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

what everyone said above...glad you were able to walk away...and that's the usual case for the appraisal...sorry to hear about that...once again...glad you're ok...
    Mike - SoCal

07 Sierra 1500HD
    Ultra Mammoth Wheels 17x8
    Nitto Terra Grapplers - 305/70/17
    Line-X Bedliner and Wheel Wells
    NFab Nerf bars
    CST 4" Spindle lift

08 Hybrid Tahoe - wifey's ride
    McGaughy's 2/3 drop kit
    22x9.5 Tyfun Wheels
    Nexen Roadians 285/45/22

Legend

Blog Entries

Holy crap! So glad you came out of it alright. And extremely happy to see that the Lancer's safety features worked 100%. You (basically) walked off from what could have been a tragic accident - broad side on the driver's side; 90 degree t-bone.

Good luck with the financial issues. I've a long story about a "new car" accident vs insurance company but that's for some other day.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Wow-glad you aren't too dinged.
    I hate drivers who cell phone and text.
    It is now a crime many places to text while driving, and it should be against the law to drive and talk on a phone.

Your car doesn't look too bad considering the 50 mph(80 kph) impact.Apparently It was a very well designed car- saved you life!
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Glad to hear you are ok after your accident.Hope you heal up quick
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

yeah, the car held up well. when i get the money from the insurance, i will buy another Lancer, because there is no way i would buy any other small car.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by