GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Opinions on mounting lights

I am wanting to mount some aux driving and/or fog lights on my '05 z71 but am unsure of how I want to mount them. I love having tons of lighting, I feel it just makes it look that much more intimidating. I am looking for opinions on different mounting options. I am kind of on a budget but would love to hear all of my options. If anyone has pictures that would be great too. Thanks guys...
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    8in ProComp Suspension Lift, 4in Shackle Flip Kit, 3in Performance Products Body Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal wheels, 35x12.50x17 ProComp Xterrains, K&N cold air intake kit, Custom 3in exhaust, GoRhrino Black spring loaded steps, Truxedo Bed Cover, "SS" style Instrument Cluster with blue pointers and Trans Temp Gauge, JVC indash touchscreen DVD player, 2 MTX 10in subwoofers, Sony Xplode 1000watt amp, Radio Shack CB with dual black whips, Optima yellow top battery

Blog Entries

I am not a fan of those roll-over bars put behind their cab just to mount lights on, so I say your best bet is mounting them behind your grille. Plenty of space and really easy to run the wires!

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

I like the bull bar or light bar option. It keeps the lights in the right place, and adds a little character, and to some degree, protection for the grill. What kind of lights are you looking at? The Hella Black Magics are 8" lights, and would limit your mounting options, for example.

I 2nd the lights behind the grille. I put them behind the grille of my NNBS and also had them on my '07 Silverado Classic. IMO I think it is the cleanest way to mount aux lights.

________2013 4C Rated__________

You can mount them on a light bar, behind the grill, on a roof rack, or if you have a BackRack or any other sort of headache rack you can mount lights on that.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Has anyone done a write up on mounting lights bethind the grill on a 2005 body style? I cant seem to find 1 on here.
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    8in ProComp Suspension Lift, 4in Shackle Flip Kit, 3in Performance Products Body Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal wheels, 35x12.50x17 ProComp Xterrains, K&N cold air intake kit, Custom 3in exhaust, GoRhrino Black spring loaded steps, Truxedo Bed Cover, "SS" style Instrument Cluster with blue pointers and Trans Temp Gauge, JVC indash touchscreen DVD player, 2 MTX 10in subwoofers, Sony Xplode 1000watt amp, Radio Shack CB with dual black whips, Optima yellow top battery

Blog Entries

i like the ideas of 'behind the grille' and think you would want fairly large as the grille would steal some light from the actual wattage or brightness. I would think that mounting brackets could be made out of plumbers or duct work ceiling hangers?? Looking at some pics here, I think I might try fogs in the spring behind my grille (my LS would need new corner fenders to even have one set )(2010 Crew 2WD )