GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default I've got a big opportunity!!

Ok here it is. I've found a guy who is selling an lb7 duramax engine! I've always wanted a diesel but did't wanna sell my truck. I was thinking about buying it and doing the conversion over christmas break. I have the 4L80E tranny so will the duramax bolt up? also what all else would I need to do this coversion if anyone has any ideas. thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

bump..............

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend
    Blog Entries

I think you need a different tranny since a diesel runs different RPMs and the converter/clutches are set up differently in a gas tranny. Also you will obviously need the wiring harness for the diesel/guage cluster/fuel tank/pump/and as mentioned the tranny. Oh and the Radiator, and all the turbo plumbing, and possibly some of the exhaust depending on emmissions etc. Really you need an entire donor truck since nothing in your truck is really set up to run a diesel...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

That's a pretty major conversion. You must be really really bored :P
    1986 Chevy G20 Tow Rig - 5.7 TBI conversion
    1978 Mustang II King Cobra Road Racer - Holley 650, MSD 6AL, 5 speed, 10 point Roll Cage, 9" posi, fuel cell, custom interior.

Ha well I knew I was going to have a month off and I really like my truck but would like it better with a diesel in it. But i found out the 4l80e tranny doesn't match up without modification of the bell housing so I decided against the project. One day I'll just buy a diesel truck ha

probably a good idea not to do it. I think a while back there were a few threads on hear about it and it seemed to be a huge hassle and extremely difficult with all the things that needed to be changed.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Yeah thats what a was quickly finding out. It would be a really cool project to say I did but just not worth the time and money unfortunately.

Sr. Mechanic

if you really want a diesel i have a buddy that put a cummins BT4 in a K5 and loves it. he runs 35 in tires with a 342 gear and can shred the rear tires. i want to say he did the whole conversion for under 3k with the motor.

Just a thought!

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

That is somethin I've always wanted to do! 12v's are so easy to find and with them being mechanical its pretty much the only way to go. I'd love an old scottsdale with a cummins motor but there are a lot around home. I'd like to do somethin really unique but it seems like unique=$

Legend
    Blog Entries

The BT4 is a 4cyl Cummins only 8V. But they are SUPER economical and powerful, and nowadays you are paying $4000 or more just to find a running BT4 since they became so popular, i have a couple of guys i know from a ford site that have the BT4s in their F-250's (built for economy and long distance with a boat etc) and they were getting mid 20s empty, and low 20s hauling smaller boats/trailers. They are quite an impressive little motor!

Wow I didn't know that was the 4 cylinder! Thats definitely impressive motor if it can power a truck and a trailer. What size turbo comes on those motors? Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by