GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Low Fuel warning light

I just got an 06 Silverado 1500 and today I was driving and getting near E on my fuel gauge, well I was expecting the fuel light to come on any second, but it never did and it was right on E.

My question is where does yours normally come on at (how close to E)?

Thanks in advance!

on my '02 and my '10 the low fuel light comes on a little under an eighth of a tank. if you were all the way on E it should have been on.
    Last edited by KWG08VMI; 10-26-2010 at 09:24 AM.
    2002 Chevy 1500 Ex-cab Z71: 5.3L, auto 4, shorties, hi-flow cats, true dual 2.5" straight pipes, AirAid intake, TBS, Platinum plugs, 8.5mm wires, programmer, 3in w/ 33s, also has the composite bed

2010 GMC 1500 Crew Cab Z71 w/ All Terrain package: 5.3L, auto 6, 2" Zone leveling kit, AirAid Jr. Intake Kit

I will be sending you a private message shortly to get more information. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I know that my 06 Silverado would vary some times if i ran a little low (on a trip or specifically after the wife used it HAHA) but it would usually come on by then as well.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Well my light finally came on, I got the message in the message center as well as an audible chime and the yellow light on the gauge as well. It came on just as I was calling my service manager to set an appointment to get it looked at, I still think it comes on a little late it was on flat E for a while before it came on: but at least it works.

Blog Entries

one small thing to think of here....just like another thread replier stated, 1/8 of a tank and most vehicles' low level warning comes on-----If you know your vehicles MPG, and how much the tank holds, this will let you know how far you can drive if you are stuck away from a gas station----not saying you should run er' empty all the time, but if you happen to have the light / warning come on when you are out of town or on the highway, reset your trip odometer and remember what you calculated for MPG and what mileage you can get to be ablt to make it to a gas station !!

How many miles should you be able to drive once the light comes on?

That depends . . . the amount of fuel remaining, the way you drive, the engine's state of tune . . .

Test it. It just takes a little planning. The next time you need to fuel up, don't. When the low fuel alarm sounds, reset the trip meter. Take a gallon or two of gas with you and hit some low traffic areas. As soon as the engine burps*, pull over and kill the key. Put one or two gallons (depends on how close you are to your preferred fueling stop) in and then fill up.

Now you will know how far you can drive after the alarm sounds as well as what one or two gallons does to your fuel gauge. One may not show at all; two may show more or less than you expected.

*It's not good for the fuel pump to run it dry. Continually running low (the pump may be sucking air on turns, hills, etc) will shorten it's life.

Ted
    I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could.

2010 Silverado ECRB LT1 5.3L Flex 6L80E 3.42 Z85 HD Tow