GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Sway Bars

Blog Entries

ok, I was wondering what a difference it would make. The shop is literally 5 mins tops from me so I'll be taking it easy all the way

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Best of luck! I'm interested to know how much of a difference you notice without the sway bar at all. Keep us posted.

Blog Entries

Day 3 update: Just got to work after going to the shop this morning...they were able to remove 2 bolts without too much of a issue, but the third was frozen solid so they had to drill it totally out, and make the hole bigger than it was stock, so I'll have to put a bolt in with a nut on the other side of it. Unfortunately, I have to work all day today so hopefully I'll have enough daylight to work on her when I get home. This not having a real garage thing sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincennes02261897 View Post
    Best of luck! I'm interested to know how much of a difference you notice without the sway bar at all. Keep us posted.
    There is quite a difference actually. The entire front end seems a lot "looser", and there is more body roll in corners it seems like. I haven't pushed her at all, but there is a S turn at the bottom of my hill and I didn't feel comfortable going through that at my normal/higher rate of speed-too much vagueness from the front end and too much body roll.

Update tonight once I get the Hellwig part on (hopefully!).

Legend
    Blog Entries

Tonight? You're waiting till tonight? A real hotrodder would be laying out in the parking lot on his lunch hour puttin it on Kid. ha ha
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Tonight? You're waiting till tonight? A real hotrodder would be laying out in the parking lot on his lunch hour puttin it on Kid. ha ha
    LOL, I took my "lunch hour" this morning when I was a hour late to work cause I took her in to get those 3 bolts pulled Don't make me ditch outta here to go put it on, I am already tempted....lol

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Kid, If you think you will run out of daylight to do it, you can always go do it at the carwash, ha ha. When we were younger & didn't have garages we used to take our rigs to the local car wash bays if it was raining or dark. Small jobs like tune ups, carb R&I, stuff like that, (small jobs) no engine or trans swaps If the cops came by we'd just tell them that it wouldn't start/run after we washed it & were trying to fix it, or some reasonable excuse for whatever job we were doing. As long as you have a good excuse that matches what you're doing they never catch on. My buddy once did brake pads at the car wash. (one side at a time) "Yes officer, I went to leave and the front wheel was locked up, "sure glad I had these tools with me"
    You could tell them you noticed your new sway bar was hanging down while you were washing it, & you didn't want to drive with it hanging half off.

Hey Kid, If you think you will run out of daylight to do it, you can always go do it at the carwash, ha ha. When we were younger & didn't have garages we used to take our rigs to the local car wash bays if it was raining or dark. Small jobs like tune ups, carb R&I, stuff like that, (small jobs) no engine or trans swaps If the cops came by we'd just tell them that it wouldn't start/run after we washed it & were trying to fix it, or some reasonable excuse for whatever job we were doing. As long as you have a good excuse that matches what you're doing they never catch on. My buddy once did brake pads at the car wash. (one side at a time) "Yes officer, I went to leave and the front wheel was locked up, "sure glad I had these tools with me"
    You could tell them you noticed your new sway bar was hanging down while you were washing it, & you didn't want to drive with it hanging half off.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Blog Entries

Day 3 contiued...It's your fault I took the afternoon off and got her done today hahahha. I love that you guys used the car wash...we don't have any washes like that, they are either automatic car washes or do it yourself at home stuff.

Anyways, IT'S DONE! And I gotta say, she handles a LOT differently now. Not sure if it's just because I'm more willing to push it now, but the front end feels a lot tighter, and it feels so much more "planted" when I enter a turn. Also, a little less body roll (I def need new shocks) and a lot more front traction and less understeer.

Cant wait to get the rear one on when it comes tomorrow hopefully, super pumped. I feel like I'm driving a much smaller vehicle now...and some time this weekend, as long as it doesn't rain, I'll be taking her up and down this mountain called Tantalus here, one of the best/tightest/curvy roads on the island to really test it out.

Edit-PICTURES

BTW, heres a ok video of what the road is like...Tantalus/Round Top Drive (hes going the opposite direction I usually go, I come from the other side).

Last edited by HawaiiKid; 10-27-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ha ha yeah it's all our fault you took the day off. We just kept twistin your arm.. Glad you got it done. It's not a psycological thing "thinking" it works better cuz you think you're pushing it harder. It actually is working harder to keep the front corners down better. It's more difficult for the up & down weight/inertia of your front corners to actually twist & bend that bar than it was to bend the smaller diameter one. Your rear bar will go easy. No seized bolts to remove. Just brand new nuts, bolts & hardware to install, sweeeeet.

edit**
    the bottom pic finally downloaded while I was writing, *#%#^! damn dialup.
    It's easy to see why you had so much trouble with the bolts. Do you live right on the beach? Do you drive that thing through the surf? That's a lot of rust for an '03
    Last edited by stephan; 10-27-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm excited to put the rear on and see what else changes handling wise! And no, this truck has only been in Hawaii for about 2 months, it was a New York truck that I bought in Feb that had seen a lot of road salt.